Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk about your .338 Edge

Re: Lets talk about your .338 Edge

Oh come on Phil, you know you want one.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

sinman

Phil, you will have to have a one off Boots handle, just wait until you see what we are coming up with.

Basic Member

"Sorry, I thought it was a large shank and not just a normal small shank long action."

No problem, just teasing you a bit!

I really wish I had a large shank LA(looked in the classifieds for a long time, but no one wants to sell em), but like was said, I have to be happy with what I got.

Doesn't matter how big the shank if you never get to shoot it any way(darn weather)! ;D

"Man, a lot of those handles are ending up on 338 Edge guns. Looks nice."

Well, here you go, this is the smooth handle you made for me on my new LRP .260.

[img width=336 height=450]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad288/319Savage260/LRP260.jpg[/img]

Samdweezel05

Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire
    Oh come on Phil, you know you want one.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinman
    Phil, you will have to have a one off Boots handle, just wait until you see what we are coming up with.
    I don't know guys, I was kind of waiting for the Jerry Mcquire bolt handles to come out. Show me the money.

Basic Member

[img width=600 height=448]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad288/319Savage260/Mobile%20Uploads/Unknown.jpg[/img]

This was my first target after getting on paper with 5 rounds starting at 85gr Retumbo and going up .5gr each 5 shot group. I basically want to fire form all my brass before I get into the higher powder charges. Is this the right way to go about it, or am I wasting my time?

I think the rifle did all it could possibly do, I just am not a very good shot. The upper left target, the first three are in the lower hole, then I changed my position on the bench and the last two were above. The lower right is three in the bottom and the other two are obvious. I have no idea why that happened, but maybe they are partly due to them being the 29th and 30th rounds fired. The Sin Arms brake works great, but even with that 30rds might be a few too many. Am I correct in thinking if a few of them are going into the same hole, that it is all me, and the rest would be in there too with a better shooter?

Conditions were 56 degrees, wind 3 o'clock from 5-16mph. Shooting due South at 100yds from a bench with a Rock BR and sand bag.

Any tips for a guy just learning to shoot for real (as opposed to "close enough") accuracy?

sinman

Try h1000 powder

Basic Member

That is the plan. I had retumbo on hand and the H1000 was on order so I loaded em up with the Retumbo for fire forming. I was told it would make a difference shooting the formed brass vs virgin brass. Does it really, and if so, is it a big difference? I plan to take the H1000 up to the 90+gr where every one else seems to do well.

KRP

Quote Originally Posted by 319
    That is the plan. I had retumbo on hand and the H1000 was on order so I loaded em up with the Retumbo for fire forming. I was told it would make a difference shooting the formed brass vs virgin brass. Does it really, and if so, is it a big difference? I plan to take the H1000 up to the 90+gr where every one else seems to do well.

This was my first target after getting on paper with 5 rounds starting at 65gr Retumbo and going up .5gr each 5 shot group. I basically want to fire form all my brass before I get into the higher powder charges. Is this the right way to go about it, or am I wasting my time?
    Both mine shoot as well with new brass as fire-formed. I wouldn't waste time/components/barrel life forming cases, or mess with a powder charge that is probably ~30% below max.

Basic Member

Thanks for the info, I will start my next 50 up higher!

Is 85gr really 30% below max? I thought max was right around 95gr or so?

KRP

Thanks for the info, I will start my next 50 up higher!

Is 85gr really 30% below max? I thought max was right around 95gr or so?
    85 isn't I'm sure, the 65 you started with could be though.

Basic Member

Ah, now I see. That is why I don't like using my cell phone to make posts, I can't see most of the screen so when I make mistakes I can't tell. I started at 85gr, not 65.

Tracer

We put a rifle together a couple years ago for long range shooting etc.! Yep, a 300 Ultra mag in a model 70 Winchester and then took and changed barrel to a .338 caliber. We had the chamber reamed for .338 caliber etc. I polished the rails and ramp too, squared up the action and free floated the barrel. I added a good heavy laminated stock too.

The only disappointment was the blessed recoil at the bench........no muzzle brake at that time, it did come later with a recoil reducer in the wood stock. Now doing this tamed things down a lot but it is still not as accurate (I am not as accurate OK!) shooting it down range. I do shoot my 7mm mag and .300 Win mag much better in group size.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12