Thread: New or old Savage?

Basic Member

New or old Savage?

I was at the local general purpose store that sells guns, ammo and reloading equipment and they had a new model 11 308 with a cheap Bushnell Banner scope for $375. I was thinking this would get me covered for long and short actions since I have a mid-80's 110 in 30-06. I have an M14 clone (LRB) and an M1A which already run 308. I already have the RCBS 308 X-dies and 90% of the ammo shot through my LRB are hand loads (1500 rounds down the tube so far). I primarily load 168's. I've got over 1000 pieces of new 308 brass. I eventually want an accurate 308 Savage with a bull barrel and was looking to get an action from one of the popular members here but a basic action was like $350 or something like that. So for a few bucks more I could have a new complete short action 308 rifle as a blank canvas.

I eventually want a bull barrel and a B&C stock. I will most likely get a Harris bipod and top if off with a Zeiss of some flavor (I have an inside man at Zeiss). I guess my real question is, with the direction I am going, should I be looking for an older used 308 or a new production 308? I know quality of many firearms has declined in recent years but I don't know about Savage. The trigger on the one I handled yesterday was HORRID but I know I can get that sorted out. To me, a bad trigger pull is a sign of poor manufacturing but I don't know if that's the case with Savage. I've been told there are better triggers than the accu-trigger.

My long term is to have 2 switch-barrel Savages. One in long and short action to use with 308, 223, 30-06 and 300 win mag.

Opinions?

Thanks,
    Tony

Re: New or old Savage?

I would buy it for that rpice and sell off what you dont need to recoup your money.You cant go wrong for that kinda money.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member

Don't know where you are from but check at Academy Sports. They have a bunch of Stevens rifles for 179.99 right now.

L_Kilkenny

Maybe it's just me but I prefer the older staggered feed magazines and the fully adjustable pre accu-trigger guns. And yes, I'd go the stevens route too.

LK

Basic Member

I'm in Oregon. No Academy Sports here...