Thread: Barnes TTSX plus 30-06 = Elk Meat

HawHee

Barnes TTSX plus 30-06 = Elk Meat

Last November I wasn't sure I'd get a chance to fill my cow elk tag, because after opening day, all the elk were running scared. But on the seventh day of the hunt, my buddy and I spotted a cow feeding across a steep canyon. My range finder said 475 yards, and I knew I could hit a target at that range, but wasn't sure if my 30-06 had enough knock-down power to bring her down. There was a cross-wind blowing down the canyon, and my first shot flew by her rump. So I corrected, using the windage mark on my Leupold Boone & Crockett reticle, and hit her through the chest broadside. She didn't move, so I fired again, and she went down kicking. She never took a step. My buddy was spotting for me, and he saw blood spurts behind her after the second and third shots. Sure enough, after a half-hour hike to where she lay, I saw blood splattered on the trees behind her. Both bullets had completely penetrated the elk's chest cavity. That proved to me that the Barnes 168 gr. TTSX bullet is an awesome penetrator. My load is 61.0 gr. H4350, Remington brass, CCI 200 primer. Muzzle velocity is 2870 fps. I highly recommend the Barnes Triple Shock bullets, as they have proven their effectiveness in killing game. Anyone else have experience with Barnes bullets?

Captain Finlander

Re: Barnes TTSX plus 30-06 = Elk Meat

The 168 grain is my favorite size .308 Barnes bullet too. The solid core designs are longer than typical lead cores of similar weights so you get 180 grain characteristics out of the 168''s. This also translates into lower velocities with the heavier bullets because the increased OAL lengths start robbing case capacity.

nomosendero

Re: Barnes TTSX plus 30-06 = Elk Meat

Yes, this bullet is about right, esp. for 30-06 & down, but I hae to try that 175LRX TSXTipped with a BC of .508.
    That's virtually identical to a 180BT!!