this is my experience.

I had SSS time & true, & place their trigger on a VLP, short action, which had a factory 22-250 barrel on it. Fred also, supplied me with a 223 complete bolt, T&T, & his recoil lug. I put a Bushnell Elite 4200, 8 X 32 on it. To much scope, but that’s another story.

Sold the 22-250 barrel, & bought from Jim (Northlander) a Shilen 22-250, a McGowan in a 223, & Rem 6mm.

I made a crude portable inexpensive vice that I take with me to the range to change the barrels. I fasten it to the bench or table with two clamps, & can change barrels fast.

When I go to shoot, I take all three barrels, usually 60 to 100 rds for all three barrels. I shoot with one barrel, take it off, put on another, etc. for all three. Then might go back & do the 1st, or 2nd barrel again. I don't see any change in accuracy.

Three weeks ago, I was shooting the 223, & it was shooting "lights out"( for me) at 100 & 200 yds... a guy at the range was watching me. He came over, very impressed, & ask a few questions about the rifle. As usual, I told him, it’s a Savage. They shoot.

I then started to change to the 22-250 barrel; he was shocked at me, for changing barrels. Said, you’re never going to get it back shooting like that again. What a shooter, etc.

I explained I do this all the time. Just hope I don’t wear out the threads on the action for as many times as I change barrels. About 45 minutes later after I shot the 22-250, & the 6mm, I switched back to the 223.

No difference in accuracy from shooting the first time. This guy was really impressed, & I’m not that good a shooter. I had him shoot it, pretty sure he will be buying a Savage.

That’s the beauty of a “modular” Savage. I really would recommend if you are thinking of doing it the way I do, have Fred (SSS) T&T it. His work is 1st class..

My opinion, I think the people on the Savage forum don’t realize how good they have it. Dealing with suppliers, like Fred, Jim, & even thought I haven’t used him yet, Sinman.

Great site, & lot of experience people.