Thread: Which Model is this. Need to know.

Basic Member

Which Model is this. Need to know.

After all the Savages I have looked at, you would think I would know this, but can anybody identify this gun? Have a chance to buy it but would like a centerfeed, and I can't tell if this is a center or stagger feed. It is a .308, so I know it is a short action.

He is what I get from it:

It looks like an older stagger feed with detachable mag box? It doesn't have an accu-trigger so it was either a special run, or was made before the accu-trigger models. Jeweled bolt? Can't see whether the barrel has a step up to indicate a large shank? I asked him to send me a pick of the magazine, which he says detaches from the action, but has not answered yet whether he has separated the stock from the action yet? If the mag stays in the stock, then centerfeed. At least to me.

Here's a pic:

[img width=600 height=314]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/warnerhill1455/WhatActionIsThis-1.jpg[/img]

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." ~ George Washington

Re: Which Model is this. Need to know.

It has a round rear and the DBM is definitely the center feed style. The stagger feed DBM's had the side button. I'd say it was a center feed.

The only thing that throws that off is the trigger and that could have been replaced along the way.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Have him measure the distance between the action screws.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

Great idea geargrinder. I will do that.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." ~ George Washington

Vince,
    It has gotta be a centerfeed Model 16fcss(or a 12fcss if it has a varmint contour barrel). Like grinder said, the older dbm's had the release button on the right side of the stock instead of on the bottom metal.

The lack of the accutrigger means it is probably just a special run from Cabelas, Jerry's, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc.

It has the action and DBM I have been looking for for my build as well. Gimme the guys number and I'll tell you exactly what it is, just so you'll know... ;D
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

Thanks Mike. You Rascal. I'll tell you this, that if I don't buy it, I'll let you know. I have to sell some stuff to pay for it.