Hey guys, I have a seating depth question and need your advise.
When I work up a load for my rifles I choose the powder I want to shoot, start with a safe charge and seat the bullets to the riflings, fire a three shot group then increase the powder charge 2/10 of a grain and repeat the process until I get the velocity I'm looking for while watching for signs of pressure. Once I find the speed node that produces the best group I can then start adjusting my seating depths futher from the riflings to achive my best accuracy.
I have never tried any Barnes so not real sure where to start. Barnes website says that the best accuracy will most likely be with the bullets seated from .030 to .070 from the riflings and they recommend starting at .050 from riflings.
My question is should I stick with my method or use theirs? If I use theirs how do you know which direction to go with the seating depth?
The rifle I'm working up a load for is a Savage Model 112, 25-06 with 26" heavy barrel, brass is Nosler, primers are CCI BR, powder is IMR4831, bullet Barnes tipped tripple shock 100 grain.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Tony