Looking for some help from you wildcatters out there. Dcloco,I know we've talked via PM a little bit about this so please chime in.

Re-chambered 204 Ruger 1:12 twist barrel. Got some data via quickload from a member over at Saubier...it's way off (using 20 Satan data). Lapua brass reformed and necks turned to .014". Fed GM205M primers and Nosler 40g bullets seated at the lands. For powder, I started with Varget....first time, I was way over pressure with primers cratering something terrible.

Today, I shot a little starting a full 2g lower than where I was previously. Still showing too much pressure, not as bad, but still too much. I set up the chrono today and was only getting 3,900 fps at 31g. Went to 31.5 and pressure got worse but the shot was showing a lower velocity than the previous 31g load. The shot kinda sounded weird too.....almost like the powder wasn't burning fully.

Can anyone give me a direction to go here? The funny sounding shot makes me think either a powder or primer switch is order. If I stick with Varget, do you think a CCI 450 could make a huge change in pressure?

Please help!