Greetings.
Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGBWI
what better investment could be made for his first CF rifle.
That was kind of a rhetorical question. ;D
We have a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 here that we disassembled for a future project. As a result, we discovered that the stock of said 200 is absolute junk. Already twisted in half and disposed of.
How does the Axis stock compare? Can it really be as bad as the Stevens was?
There is no question that the Stevens is superior, but my 10 year old son has his heart set on the Axis.
It would be safe to assume that this is a rifle that will be left alone *after* the trigger is sorted out. The Axis is available to me for around $300 - $325. Our Stevens would cost more to meet our goal and is slated for other things. Like a lot of folks, we have too many irons in the fire, so budget constraints apply.
Aside from the quality father and son time this will provide my boy and I, there is more. My father, who is past retirement and not accustomed to the recoil of rifles will be joining me at the range for some of our own quality time together. I expect that .223 will work well in either situation.
From my givens and druthers list, the Axis seems to be a good fit.
With a little more information given, for those that own or have worked with the Axis, will my expectations be met?

Thank you for all the input given so far. I knew I could rely on this forum for great information and opinions.

Shoot safe,
MikeinGBWI