Thread: Next reloading piece to buy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    WhitBri

Next reloading piece to buy

About a year ago I bought my first reloader, bought the Lee kit with their press, dies, powder drop, and balance scale. I have since bought a digital caliper, manuals and lots of componets all for my .223 I'm reloading for. My questions is what should be next on my list to gain the biggest advantage in consistency and accuracy. My two intial thoughts were case trimmer or digital scale? Any recommendations on what to buy including what model would be great.

Team Savage

Re: Next reloading piece to buy

For starters, get yourself a Hornady (Stoney Point) OAL gauge and a Cartridge Headspace Gauge. A "real good" investment. Keeps your brass from growing more than needed.
    Either make or buy a "Modified case" and tool so you'll know the "actual" length of your chamber. That way you'll know when and if your cases need trimming. No use trimming unless it's needed.
    Digital scale??? OK(??) once you get use to using it. Had one, didn't care for the set up time and extra fuss. YMMV.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member

The Hornady OAL gauge will show you where your bullet ogive will touch the rifling. To determine your actual chamber length Sinclair makes a "chamber length gage insert" Only cost six or seven dollars, is easy to use and will tell you how long your specific chamber is so you can trim your brass accordingly.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Basic Member

Buying a digital scale was the best buy I made since getting the same kit as you. I have upgraded most components to the kit but the scale has made making quality ammo easier and much quicker, especially if weighing individual charges like I do. For every loaded round using a balance beam I can load at least five.

Dolomite

Quickshot

Ditto on all the above. A Pact Dispenser and scale are a convenience item to me and an RCBS Comp. seater that you drop the bullet in the side rather than having to guide it up into the seater. Above all try to keep it as simple as you can. There are a million alternatives. Quick

Joe O

Next,a case trimmer , the sinclair chamber length gage,and primer pocket uniformer.You don't need the handle,just chuck it up in a 3/8" drill and hold the case on while operating the trigger with the other.A flash hole deburring tool is a must have,one time operation,then the case gage and OAL measuring tool.

kslefty

A decent powder throw will dispense 23-28gr .223 charges accurate to +- .2 grain so I have found a digital scale to be worthless. I throw 50 charges and then randomly check 3 or 4 on my scale and they are always within .2 gr of each other and usually less than this. Definitely agree that something to measure actual OAL length required. I suppose a digital scale would be handy to segregate cases by weight.

steveinwv

The Lee powder drop is the most accurate I have ever seen. A kinetic bullet puller costs $15 and is very useful at times. Did you say that you had a hand primer?

WhitBri

Forgot to mention the hand primer that can with the kit. Don't know what I would do without that

Basic Member

I can not believe I used to load so many different powders in so many different cartridges and used a beam scale. The best investment I ever made was the RCBS Digital Scale and Powder Throwing System. I love that thing. Case trimmer is crucial as well. Not cheap but worth every penny.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." ~ George Washington

BillPa

In addition to the other suggestions, a set of check weights. I have three scales, two beams and a digital. The digital reads .1 low, one beam a .1 high and the other dead on. The weights may or may not be within .00001" of a grain accuracy, but at least you can verify the scale is reading consistently for the span ( charge weight) you setting the measure to. They will also tip you off is something is amiss with the scale.

Bill

Ravenhawk57

One item that needs to be purchased is the Precision Shooting Reloading Guide. You will find it well worth your reading time if you are interested in accurate target loads for all types of rifle disciplines. What this book covers is the tools and knowledge that will help you to understand the key to supreme accuracy. Best book I ever invested in.

IMO...For consistancy and accuracy:

RCBS 10-10 scale...every charge EXACTLY the same......IMO, digitals are good for speed but lack the CONSISTENT repeatable accuracy that I like. After that a Sinclair case concentricity guage:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/...tricity-Gauges

You also need a bullet comparator, these are the ones I use and have excellent results with:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/...et-Comparators

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/...et-Comparators

stevec

My personal opinion, skip the digital scale. Never found one that would consistantly measure closer than a balance beam.

The main things that I worry about for accuracy in order of importance (to me):

load development (keep tinkering with powders, charge wieght, primers, and bullets)
    seating depth ( that is where the Hornady OAL tool will come in)
    bullet runout (concentricy guage)

That being said I have a room full of gadgets, dodads, gizmos and apparatasus dedicated to reloading. I cant help myself ;D

Steve

Team Savage

In my opinion, rather than spend the $$ (for now) on a "digital scale", invest in bullets, primers and powder. More trigger time makes you a better shot and gives you a chance to know your equipment.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member

after 20 yrs i finally got a lyman 1200 dps3 and dont know how i went so long with out one i still recal every 10 but its a breeze to use .the stoney point oal length bullet comparator are a must i use to just load to book length and figure and 168 308 was all the same now i measure off the ogive for each bullet .

stevec

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie
    In my opinion, rather than spend the $$ (for now) on a "digital scale", invest in bullets, primers and powder. More trigger time makes you a better shot and gives you a chance to know your equipment.

Mikie makes a very good point!

Steve

old03

Quote Originally Posted by stevec
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie

Mikie makes a very good point!

Steve
    X3

pa hog

Hands down!! There are many accessories available that make this little guy my favorite!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=565099

possum1

WhitBri, like you I got the Lee kit one year ago almost to the day, next the digital caliper, got the case trimmer with the kit. Not saying I wouldn't like to have the nice and fancy gadget's, my reloading mentor told and showed me way's of doing those thing's the old fashion way. Like finding your optimal seating depth { seat a bullet in a UNPRIMED EMPTY SIZED CASE long in your die then try to chamber it, don't force it, just try to get the bolt to close keep turning your die in 1/4 turn till you get the bolt to close}. You've found your land's. The OAL gauge are not that expensive but you saved $40, 2 boxes bullet's. The one thing that got my shot's and grouping consistent, beside's my Savage rifle, was really paying attention on prepping my brass and finding my rifle land's. Whatever you can do to keep your load's consistant and the same every time work's. You should have gotten Richard Lee's reloading book with the kit, read it then read it again, I've read mine three time now, every time I pick up something different and valuable. The man's a genious when it come's to reloading. Now to answer your question, Lee case trimmer with the lock stud, don't make any better in MOP. Eventually over time you and me both will have all the fancy gadget's, It's addictive you know!! ;D