Thread: Optic setup on a 10 FCP

Basic Member

Optic setup on a 10 FCP

Been reading for a couple of weeks....great forum indeed.

I've got a question regarding my new 10 FCP HS-Precision and the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 FFP mil-dot scope I put on it. The intended purpose of this rifle will be casual shooting out to 500 yards and the occasional training class that will push it out to out to 800 yds. This is a hobby, not my job.

I mounted the scope using Burris XTR medium rings and an EGW 20 MOA base. The specs for the 4200 claim 48" of elevation adjustment @ 100 yards.

With the elevation adjustment literally set all the way down, the POA and POI @ 100 yards lines up well. (here is a target I was shooting today, with some Winchester Super-X 150 gr, while breaking in the barrel)

Do I need to shim a bit in order to get some usable down elevation?

Input from those who have had this happen would be greatly appreciated. :)

[img width=600 height=450]http://www.stu-offroad.com/temp/savage-5.jpg[/img]

Basic Member

Re: Optic setup on a 10 FPC

i would try to get some signiture rings imo they are much better than shimming i know you have good rings but the sigs are more than strong enough and the offset kit fixes anything

Basic Member

Re: Optic setup on a 10 FPC

I had thought about that, briefly, but with over $100 invested in the existing rings and an alignment/lapping kit, I was hoping to make use of the investment. That doesn't mean I can't change ring setups....just hoping I didn't have to.

txgolfer45

Re: Optic setup on a 10 FCP

I'm going to set up my Savage 10PC with the EGW 20MOA mount and Burris XTR low rings. Will let you know how it works this weekend.

Basic Member

txgolfer,

Unless you intend on mounting the exact same scope I have, it is not likely that your outcome will be helpful to me, although I appreciate you taking the time to help. The issue is not about the rings and the mount, it is about the scope and the fact that I have no down adjustment left when zeroed at 100 yards.

As it stands, the 48" of elevations travel should have left me with a 4" of down adjustment when using a 20 MOA base (assuming the center really was at 24". It would seem that the center was much closer to 20" and so was completely used up by the 20 MOA base.....or.....the 20 MOA based actually yielded 24 MOA.

Tim300,

I checked into your suggestion. Burris only makes +/- 0.0 and +/- .010 for the 30 mm rings (unless I missed it on their web site). That means I would loose 10" of the 20 MOA base. I could manage loosing 5" (which would be perfect from what I can tell) but loosing half of it seems counterproductive.

helotaxi

Why do you want more down adjustment? You're essentially "on" at 100yds and you only dial up from there. Many scopes won't even let you get that close with a 20MOA base.

Basic Member

If I change the brand of factory ammo or my reload recipe, there is a good chance that POI will change. Have you ever had your POI change when you switched to a different load? If that POI is high, what do I use then to bring it down? I'm all out of adjustment.

Senderofan

Your POI will most definately change with different ammo / bullets /weights. You didn't say what bullet weight you want to stay with. Also, what your specific ranges will be. With the target you show....I'd say you're GTG at most short distances on big game ( or paper for that matter)....plus you have plenty of adjustment to reach out when you want to. I zeroed my .308 BVSS to be about 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards. This gives me a 200 yard zero with my load....that puts me at about 8 inches low at 500 yards. For most of my deer hunting...I'm in the 200-300 yard range...my rifle is set to go without any adjustments. I will also use this rifle at the 1,000 yard range....for practice.

If you are very concerned...you could put a shim in.....probably not the best to run scopes at max in either direction....but for the most part...I think you're fine.

Wayne

Senderofan

If you want to be able to reach out to 800-1000 yards......you'll want to try ammo other than the 150 gr. rounds that you've started with. Blackhills or Federal GoldMatch with the 175 gr. bullet are some very good rounds as an example. Sierra matchKings are very popular and are loaded in the FGM and BH ( I think ). The 175's and heavier are what most guys are using for 1000 yard BR shooting with .308. As such....you will have to dial your scope elevation up with the heavier bullets....you will probably be lower than you like with your present settings. In that case...you'll be fine.

Wayne

Basic Member

As I mentioned in my initial post....."The intended purpose of this rifle will be casual shooting out to 500 yards and the occasional training class that will push it out to out to 800 yds."

As I mentioned in my first post, the 150gr bullets were being used for break in. Given the weight of the 10 FCP HS-Precision rifle, it isn't going to be used for deer hunting unless it sits on my porch while I shoot, which I guess could work. I've had white tails in the front yard more than once.

I've got a tray of 168 gr SMKs already loaded, waiting on the load selection process. Once that is done, I'll look at some of the heavier bullets as time permits.

I guess at this point I'll finish the barrel break in and then see how the SMKs do.

Thanks for the input.

Senderofan

Guess I wouldn't be too concerned about your groups at this point...since you're just using the 150's for break in. I also wouldn't discount your rifle for deer hunting, should you feel the need / desire. My BVSS is much heavier than your rifle and I have no problem using it....I've got a 30" straight cylinder stainless barrel...all depends on how you hunt.

I would focus in on the SMK, A-Max or a Berger bullet of heavier weight....then decide. I would venture a guess that the 168's will perform very well in your rig...with the right recipe...Much better than the 150's.

Good Luck....You'll be very happy once you get your rig broken in and find the "Recipe" your rifle likes.

Wayne

helotaxi

If you're that concerned about needing more downward adjustment,get a set of signature rings and install the 10 offset inserts to take about half the elevation out of the base (the exact amount that you'll remove is entirely determined by your scope ring spacing, the 10 is 0.010" not 10 MOA). That should still leave you more than enough elevation adjustment to dial well beyond 500 yds. In fact for 500yds, you really don't need the 20 MOA base. You could keep your rings and go with a 0 base and be good. With a 100yd zero you only need to dial about 11.5 MOA to get to 500 yds and about 16 MOA to get to 600.

Basic Member

Thanks for the additional input.

I've got a nice enough .308 for hunting....an Ithaca (made by Sako if I remember correctly). I'll that for white tails and use this one on paper, steel, etc. :)

I've no doubt that the SMKs I'll be loading will do much better than those cheap 150s I am using to condition the barrel.

I'll give them a try and then proceed from there based on how things look.

Again...I appreciate the comments.

best regards!