Thread: mounts and rings

Basic Member

mounts and rings

I'm going to need to get some mounts and rings for my 300 rum build soon. Will be used for moderate long range hunting(500-600 yards) and am not quite sure what to get. Will be going with a leupold vx3 4.5 x 14 x 40. Was thinking about an egw one piece base for ease of mounting the scope on the long action. Not sure which rings or what height. With that base lows should fit?

Captain Finlander

Re: mounts and rings

The problem is that the scope is not always long enough to clear the dial ring. I have Redfield SR two piece bases on an old Vanguard VGX. I typically use a one piece base but the gun was purchased second hand and they were already on it. Fist thing I did was upgrade the scope to a better quality one and the first issue was the scope clearance from the leading 1" tube edge of the objective bell to the 1" edge against the dial was conflicted because the dial would make contact with the rear section of the two piece base. Solution was to opt for a once piece base which would not have this conflict in the rear or use an offset ring for the front. I chose an offset ring for the front that allowed just enough clearance at the rear to still operate the dial using low mount rings. Using medium mount rings would have worked but then the scope would have been to high for my liking.

My advise is to buy the gun and scope then, with some help from a second person, hold the scope and gun in position and take notes of the clearances for both the objective and dial ring.