I had one that was like that, a VLP, Paid $900 for it. Sent it back the replaced the barrel, didn't work so they replaced the action.

Yes, now it's awesome and yes While I was waiting I bought the LRPV (which is my favorite gun) so I guess I have to thank them. It does not bode well with me that I purchased a $900 savage (which would make it a higher end model) and had to have it basically replaced and wait three month sans rifle for the issue to get sorted. Savage has worked hard to build a reputation and become a respected brand, it might be worth it to spend a little extra time to ensure these things don't get out of the factory and cause a stir. I am a very patient understanding person and never got terribly upset during the ordeal; however, as has been discussed in the past gun stores are filled with loud mouthed guys that couldn't qualify to flip burgers that will bad mouth the products into oblivion over such things. Perhaps it's because I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford alternatives that it really wasn't a big deal; but, could you imagine the disappointment of the guy that saved and saved and proudly arrived home with his new rifle only to find out it wasn't right? Then to lose three months of good shooting weather to get it sorted? I believe this would be off-putting toward the brand.

With that said, I have quite a few and was willing to spend nearly $2k on a new model because they took responsibility and fixed the situation.