Thread: Aftermarket barrel diameter?

308garand

Aftermarket barrel diameter?

I am looking into rebarreling my 10FP McMillan and had a question about the barrel diameter. Most of the barrel manufactures list the shank dia. on the savages as right around 1.060. Is this the largest shank diameter I am able to get or could I go with a 1.200-1.250 dia. without a problem? Is this because of the barrel nut?

Thanks,

Basic Member

Re: Aftermarket barrel diameter?

Quote Originally Posted by 308garand
    Is this because of the barrel nut?
    Yes. If you chose to use the Savage barrel nut, then your barrel diameter is limited by the thread size. However, you can do away with the nut and thread it up just like a Remmy and use your 1.250 barrel.

Tim

Ackley Improved

Dumb question. If you have a barrel screwed on without the nut, do they have to modify the action do to so? Can you go back to the nut if you want to later on, with a new barrel?

thanks. New to all this swapping barrels on Savage actions stuff.

no you dont have to have any changes to the action for a nutless barrel. You would need a gunsmith to set up a barrel and headspace it and you could be switched back at any time.
    mdl 12 .223, bvss/"bondo" stock, completely polished,devcon bedded, sig zee rings, 36x40 leupold

Ackley Improved

Thanks. My 110E has worn three barrels now. First two were factory with the nut, and then I had it rebarreled without the nut. I failed to ask at the time if it could be converted back. Thanks for the info. I get bored with my rifles, so I want to go back to the nut and learn to swap barrels myself.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ackley Improved
    I get bored with my rifles, so I want to go back to the nut and learn to swap barrels myself.
    I must warn you this could be infectious... you say to yourself I'll just get one more barrel. Next thing you now you have 15 barrels to go with only 3 actions.... or maybe that is just me... :P :P Really the Savage platform has allowed me to try calibers I couldn't have tried otherwise. Invest about $75 into a barrel wrench and action wrench and your ready to play.... But much like Lays Potato Chips, you can't stop with just one... ;D ;D

Ackley Improved

Tiny, thanks for the response. Actually, i think a Savage makes the most sense for me, since I get bored easily. I have had several custom rifles built, and all but one have been sold off. I think half the fun is building them. I shoot them for a year and want to try something else.

Bought my first and only Savage in 1986 at the age of 15. Still have it, and it is getting resurrected...