Thread: 64F semi-auto...how bad could it be??

64F semi-auto...how bad could it be??

So I've been thinking of playing around with another semi-auto and the Savage 64F stands out as one of the cheapest things on the market. It's about the same price as the Rossi RS22, which I've also considered.
    It's likely that the 64F will function okay but if it's not accurate, it's just not interesting to me. When I see reports of "great accuracy" in online reviews, I often find that they're talking about less than an inch at 25 yards or less than 2 inches at 50 yards. Not what I'm looking for.

I understand that the trigger on any of these budget guns is going to be pretty atrocious and need serious work to be acceptable - the same thing applies to the 10-22 for that matter. I'm curious whether, once the trigger is made to be useable, this thing will shoot anywhere near MOA.

Does anyone have any experience with this model?
    Thanks!
    J A

Basic Member
    Hi - I also saw your thread about A-22s and commented there. I was waiting to see if anyone would admit having a 64 Well, I've got a couple, one is a Green-stock heavy barrel with a flash hider that I've had for about 10 years. It's ok but def Not MOA unless I get real lucky and also get premium ammo. The 'other' 64 is worse , altho I haven't given either one a really 'good' scope to test fairly. With a 3-9x40 I could get the Green one under 1" @ 50 often, with ammo like CCI-SV or Fed Gold Medal. I didn't put 'better ammo' thru either. I have several posts on here about the 64s, as well as my B-22 FV. If you search in those 'sub-forums' you'll see that I've spent a lot of time 'trying to fix' the 64s, working the triggers down under 2# and still they don't do well - for targets. Plinking cans are their metier.
    If I were you I'd sell the 10/22 and take the bucks from that and what you planned to spend on 'another semi', then just buy a Dlask system or something comparable. Or at least something like a CZ-semi. Not too many semis to recommend for 'accuracy on a budget'/

Yeah...this is about what I've expected from the 64's. Your Green one is about comparable to my 10-22...2 MOA or better seems to be the accuracy limit for any particular version. And not to say that's terrible for the price point. It's probably cheaper to get under 2MOA with a few different semi's than it is with the 10-22. I suppose it's possible to get lucky but mine wouldn't get there before trigger work and spring set and better stock (used Hogue Over-molded). To be fair I probably don't have a lot into it compared to what's possible but it's definitely more than any version of the F64 out of the box.
    I took a trip over to Cabela's yesterday to see what they had in stock and saw a few high-end semis that were interesting. Magnum Research and Black Rain Ordnance I suspect that if I'm going to get remotely serious about it, I have to look well past any of the entry level stuff - though I do love a project and I think that I like the challenge of wringing all the potential accuracy I can out of any particular gun or platform. :) If I had the bucks and could remotely justify it, the Kidd Super Grade seems to be just about the pinnacle and probably anything in that $2000 price range could be expected to produce hundred-yard 1-holers routinely.
    Your comments on the A-22 were helpful, too. Thanks!