Thread: 30-06 help please

Basic Member

30-06 help please

Working on scheduling a daylight Coyote hunt out West. My cartridge already chosen. It'll work...close and far.

My friend's 1 and only, long time rifle is a 30-06. It's accurate and he knows how to use it. 150 gr and up, he's well stocked. My question here is this: assuming HE and the rifle are MOA - and they are - can we hand-load a 125 gr bullet and not lose MOA accuracy? Speer & Sierra.

Not asking anyone to guarantee anything with all the many variables. Just asking for first-hand good or bad experience - which bullet - fps - powder preference - etc??

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Basic Member
    Almost impossible to say for certain. The caliber is not the determinant, the particular barrel is.
    Some barrels like light bullets and shoot them most accurately.
    Others like heavy bullets and they shoot them most accurately.

I have two Savage .308s with 24-inch barrels.
    One shoots 155 gr bullets best and the other shoots 175 gr and heavier bullet best.
    I would have bet that they would shoot just about the same.

The only way you'll ever really know is to try it with the 125 gr bullets.

My .30-06s like H4350 powder the best, but they also shoot other powders almost as well.
    With the scarcity of powder these days, you may be shooting what you can get your hands on.

Easy button for the 06 is the 150 gr class of bullets. Depending on the barrels twist rate,
    I would go the opposite direction and investigate the 168's to help in the wind and get
    your BC number up a bit.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Don't know about 125's. IN my model 70 NM 150- 190 gr pills- 4831( imr or h) and Acurrate arms 3100 around 56 gr worked flawlessly out to 600 yards. apx 1/3 moa at 600 yards was typical 10 shot group size when the operator didn't mess up. Lots of newer powders out there now and I do not know how any of those would work.

Basic Member
    I'd probably use the 155 Hornady ELDM or Berger Hybrid if you can afford them :) The Bergers did a little better in my .308. And they handled wind better.

But, I have never tried the light stuff either. Most who use them are the 100-200yd shooters.

No matter what he uses his shoulder will let him know about it after a few hundred rounds.

Basic Member
    Yeah.........a 200 gr would dispatch a Coyote. Just thought a 125 would open up faster than a 150 and still hold onto "some" wind resistance and decent trajectory further out. NOT sure tho and why I've asked. All that plus the 125 TMK and Speer TNT both get good reports. NOT arguing with your wise words gentlemen. He's familiar with the 150's AB, Partition, etc. Just considering COYOTE options and VERY much appreciate your input.

As for round count on a day for Coyotes...don't see that as a problem. :-)

My rifle is avlbl to him but he wants to use his. I understand that.

Cheers.

Team Savage
    All depends on the barrel twist.
    1-10 twist, any 150 Grn and up ballistic tip match bullet will do
    SJC

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoots100 View Post
    All depends on the barrel twist.
    1-10 twist, any 150 Grn and up ballistic tip match bullet will do
    SJC
    Hey Shoots and everyone else, Thanks....

After a lot of reading and discussions, he's decided to just stay with the 150 gr @~2,950 fps. He and his rifle accuracy are both excellent. While understably way more than needed for Coyote, I applaud his use of one rifle. I envy his KISS rationale. A happy ending.

Now...............I'm going back to the bench to get my rifle / load sorted out. The work never ends. :-)

Cheers!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taidog1 View Post
    Hey Shoots and everyone else, Thanks....

After a lot of reading and discussions, he's decided to just stay with the 150 gr @~2,950 fps. He and his rifle accuracy are both excellent. While understably way more than needed for Coyote, I applaud his use of one rifle. I envy his KISS rationale. A happy ending.

Now...............I'm going back to the bench to get my rifle / load sorted out. The work never ends. :-)

Cheers!
    155 Hornady Amax’s will give you the accuracy AND the expansion you’re looking for in a 30-06.

168 amax’s work well too

I used a 125 gn Nosler BT outta my Ruger 77 in 30-06. It is my coyote load for out in the AZ High Desert.

Use IMR 4064 and a Winchester LRP. Gives me.690 at 100 yards. But I’ve stretched it out further than that.

Absolutely devastating on the coyotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro