Thread: Another guy trying to identify an 1899

Another guy trying to identify an 1899

I recently came upon a Savage 303 lever gun, but it has some oddities. The serial number is somewhere around the 48.XXX range putting it around or a little after 1904 according to one serial number lookup. If there is a rule that I have to post the exact serial number let me know and I'll leave now. In this internet age of use and abuse I don't share any "exact" information if I can avoid it. I'm a little leery of posting photos as well, but I may if I don't get a lecture about it. LOL

It is probably an 1899, but I can't find one in its exact configuration. It's got the combination lever catch/safety. I have to assume that was the common for its time period. The stock is plain, has a small cheek rise (but no side swell), and no pistol grip. Its almost perfectly straight on the bottom. I found pictures of a few very similar in my search, but most were fancier guns. This is PLAIN. The half octagon barrel lead me to believe it might be an 1899C, but I'm not sure that adds up to the right age range according to the serial number.

The next odd bit is does not have a fore end like most others I've seen picture. It stops more than 3 inches short of the end of the octagon, and it does not taper down close to the barrel like most others. Its straighter (some small taper) and more squared on the front.

Now its possible that it doesn't have the original wood furniture. It looks like it was made for the rifle, but its not a high precision fit, and its not in great condition. Since it could be 120 year old rifle its possible the furniture has been replaced at some point.

It's also got a poorly fitted rubber butt pad held on with what looks like nails. It's not quite centered and it was never trimmed to fit the stock.

Yes I have looked at this page https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...l-99-do-I-have and this page https://savagelevers.com/serial-number-search/ already. I've also looked at several other forum posts, wikipedia and a few other information web pages.

Any additional knowledge you can lend would be appreciated. If nothing, well that's okay too.

As collectors go I don't think it is one. As mentioned the furniture is pretty bad, and the forend is probably not correct to the gun at all. Since then I stuck a light in the bore and had a look. You can tell it has rifling, but unless there is massive lead fouling (have not tried any cleaning yet) "had" rifling is probably a more correct description. Some modern reproduction 99 furniture was ordered for it. I was going to brush and clean and shoot, but I am afraid the stock might split (further) and cause a minor injury. I'll wait for the new wood. The existing furniture can always be kept with the rifle. I may change my mind after I get it out to the range and shoot it, but the fellow who brought it to me to look at said it was strictly a hundred yard gun. Since there aren't many options for 303 Savage ammunition I expect I'll just see what it does with the ancient rounds he brought with it first. No, I'm not going to hand load for it, but it did occur to me if he wanted to with its rotary magazine he could use a modern bullet with a decent BC.

Basic Member
    A half octagon barrel would be an 1899C, and since they were made from 1899 thru 1917 it's perfectly correct for 1904. I would guess the stock is a later replacement. They didn't come with a cheek rise on the buttstock except for a VERY, VERY FEW that had a full out cheek piece. And those were all very fancy guns from what I've seen.

Would have had a 26" barrel as a standard, a crescent buttplate (now gone) tho a shotgun style flat buttplate could be ordered. The forearm should go all the way to the end of the octagon portion of the barrel, and end in a schnabel.

I'd definitely try shooting it after using some foaming bore cleaner to clean out the barrel. Never know, a lot of these old girls still shoot great!

Quote Originally Posted by CalhounRR View Post
    A half octagon barrel would be an 1899C, and since they were made from 1899 thru 1917 it's perfectly correct for 1904. I would guess the stock is a later replacement. They didn't come with a cheek rise on the buttstock except for a VERY, VERY FEW that had a full out cheek piece. And those were all very fancy guns from what I've seen.

Would have had a 26" barrel as a standard, a crescent buttplate (now gone) tho a shotgun style flat buttplate could be ordered. The forearm should go all the way to the end of the octagon portion of the barrel, and end in a schnabel.

I'd definitely try shooting it after using some foaming bore cleaner to clean out the barrel. Never know, a lot of these old girls still shoot great!
    Thank you. I kinda posted the "1899C / not right age" just to make sure. The one way to get good information on the internet is to post the wrong information... Well, that and I had no clue when I made the first post. The rest, I appreciate your confirmations.

The new furniture should arrive in a day or two. After inletting to fit and sanding I'll explore either traditional oil or offending the sensibilities with some shiny synthetic hard coat to finish. LOL. Probably oil finish, but...