Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tomek View Post
My first Vortex was an early Diamondback model in 4-12. This one had the A/O feature. It came with a 25-35 Contender barrel, and I liked it -- a LOT. I made a number of long shots (long for me, anyway) with that rig, including a double on bobcats at 272 and 274 yards.

After that, I had a couple more Diamondbacks, including another 4-12 but without the AO. Glass-wise, they fell somewhere between the Vari-X IIs and Vari-X IIIs that I had then -- and cost much less.
I do like the Diamondback. My brother gave me one in 3-9X and it quickly became my favorite and lived on my primary Contender rig. I replaced it with another Diamondback in 4-12X with AO and switched the 3-9X to a different barrel. I really like that 4-12X AO. It may be the best rifle scope I own right now and it's definitely my favorite.

I found an older Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X on Ebay and couldn't resist. I paid a reasonable sum but it wasn't exactly bargain basement priced by the time I edged out the nearest bidding competition. Since I've got a 445 Supermag carbine in the mix, I think that's the barrel that will wear the Leupy and the 357 Mag will be well served by the Vortex Crossfire.