Thread: 6mmARC bolt loads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    That target is just what I am use to shooting at from using the 223 that generally shoots sub-MOA.

So the guys shooting BR's and Dashers from our league as are the guys at Accurate Shooters forum all telling me 105gr Bergers and Varget or LVR. So now I'm getting conflicting feedback.
    I'm partially causing the conflict. I'm suggesting going to a much lighter bullet to get them speeds up.
    You have a better advantage in the wind with a smaller bullet and a lot more speed, thus a faster powder
    and as close to a 100% case fill as you can get. For the heavier bullets, your better off with Varget. Finding
    it, let alone cost, does suck. Maybe able to find the new StaBall Match, just slightly faster then Varget, for
    the heavies.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    OH Yes, I fully understood your motive, same reason I was trying the 87gr bullet to begin with. Try and get the speeds up. Also because I am limited to that max 300yd distance with no chance of going beyond that..

Also believe that is the reason the guys are having such success using the Hodgdon LeveR with those heavies. I also looked last night at data Berger sent me for the 87gr and 105 gr bullets. For the 105 they are showing a load for Varget and the other three powders I have. Looking at the MAX load the Varget is only slightly fast fps than the AA 2460, only 7fps difference and the Varget is a compressed load while the 2460 is 96%. So for grins I am going to load a small ladder with the 2460 to see what happens.

Basic Member
    So further thinking about this, how light and fast to you think I could push this 6mm 7.5:1 twist. Seems the 6PPC guys are using a FB 68gr bullet and also some FB 80gr bullets. Though it appears they are also using a much slower twist barrel.

Yes, most I know and shoot with use anywhere from a 12 to 14 twist barrel with the 68's and
    as I mentioned in an earlier post, VV-133 is the favored powder along with Benchmark and
    H-322. These guy's are pushing just about 3300 fps......With your twist rate, a 70gr, boat tail
    would be good with your twist rate, And with Benchmark, I would see no reason not to get it
    to 3100 fps.....Finish your ladder with the AA-2460 for sure.

Basic Member
    I have been interested in and following this 6mmARC for a few years and at times can only shake my head by some of the comments and perceptions about it. First always being Why Bother? Why not just start with a BR? Nothing I present changes anyone perception. Even when I present factual data that there is little difference in real world between the ARC and BR. Then they ignore the fact issue of the 6PPC being that same basic cartridge as the ARC. Which in my view I equate the two as being the same as a 6BR and BRA. As you point out the largest difference is in the barrel twist rates used.

I am still finding this to be a very intriguing round with so many possibilities. Especially when looking at it from the point of my intended use as a target round out to just 300yards. As the 6PPC shines out to 200 yards maybe this ARC can stretch that to 300yards. Just have to see if I can find it.

May just have to re-run that ladder with the Benchmark.

Basic Member
    I agree with you on this. My pick was for longer distances. It fascinates me how well some of these smaller cartridges do when loaded full of powder. Extreme efficiency. I think you will get there. I was shocked how much a change there was in a couple tenths of powder charge and again with changes in seat depth.

Basic Member
    Charlie b as I stated these first loads were just a get familiar exercise and gain some first hand experience.Looking to just determine if any of these powders were viable or a waste. Still on the fence in that aspect as haven't seen much with this 87gr VMAX but that just may be the bullet. Having 2 Savage 223 one really likes the cheap RMR 69gr bullet and the other rifle won't shoot them at all.

Amazing though tonight as I was wandering thru more printed data I found the data I used from the Hornady gas load for the AA2460 had a max load listed as 27.8 and I quit at 27.5 which looked pretty good. Then looking at data for Berger 87gr and AA2460 they have a max of 28.9gr so maybe I quit too soon! Sadly I am now out of the VMAX.

Now I just wish I could find one good load that will shoot sub MOA so I know this barrel is still OK. Hate to think I'm just spinning my wheels on a shot-out rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    Sadly I am now out of the VMAX.
    That's a good thing......!! Now get them 70gr Sierra's I mentioned. I am not a fan of Hornady's
    plastic tip bullets. but if you must, and with that ARC of yours, and it's short barrel, you could
    get away with the 75gr V-max boat tail.

I need two dimensions.....What is the O.D. of your case neck after sizing, and after firing.