Thread: A little .22-250 AI Load Development

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Well that didn't go as planned. lol Apparently those Barnes 50gr Varminators have a pretty thin jacket on them as they were gray misting at 40 yards with even the lightest charge weight. Needless to say I ended up pulling the rest I had loaded up. Guess I'll save those bullets for loading .223's or maybe the standard 22-250 1-12 twist sporter barrel I have collecting dust in the safe.
    What would be the advantage to a Ackley improved 22-250 ?
    I don’t get it… but I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    Finding this rather ironic after you Haha'ed my 6ARC Bolt rifle a couple month ago.. Just serves to show the different strokes/folks!
    To correct the record, I didn't "haha" your 6mm AARC, just questioned why one would want to build it in a bolt gun when there are superior cartridges out there that are compatible with bolt guns, and as you'll recall once you explained your reasons I understood.

In any event, this wasn't a huge surprise to me and definitely not the first time I've tested the RPM limits of the jacket of a bullet. Given this particular barrel is a 1-8" twist and the increased velocity offered by the 22-250AI it takes a pretty thick jacket to stand up to the centrifugal force trying to pull the bullet apart at such a high RPM. I've shot quite a few boxes of 52 and 53gr match bullets through this barrel at between 3600 and 3700fps and they held together fine, so lighter bullets with the faster twist are feasible if they have a sufficient jacket. This particular bullet clearly just has a thinner jacket just like the old 52gr Speer's that would gray mist out of my 14" standard 22-250 Rem Savage Striker barrel.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    To correct the record, I didn't "haha" your 6mm AARC, just questioned why one would want to build it in a bolt gun when there are superior cartridges out there that are compatible with bolt guns, and as you'll recall once you explained your reasons I understood. .
    I know, that was just a friendly tease. Sort of as yours was. Maybe should have added a smiley. Hope we can still have fun!

But so far the 6 ARC has been easy to put together and everything for it is available at to me reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    I know, that was just a friendly tease. Sort of as yours was. Maybe should have added a smiley. Hope we can still have fun!

But so far the 6 ARC has been easy to put together and everything for it is available at to me reasonable prices.
    It's all good.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    It's all good.
    a Sense of humor can be a good thing.

Let us know how you finally proceed. One of the guys in our league last winter was shooting a new 25X45. As I recall he finished out of the top ten where he normally finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by South Prairie jim View Post
    What would be the advantage to a Ackley improved 22-250 ?
    I don’t get it… but I am curious.
    The Ackley gives you more case capacity for more velocity. For example, in a standard 22-250 Rem you can typically push a 52/53gr bullet to around 3700fps or so. In a 22-250 Ackley Improved you can push the same bullet to 4000fps. While the extra speed isn't really needed for the traditional bullet weights (40-65gr) for this caliber, it comes in real handy with the heavy for caliber bullets (75gr and up) for long-range shooting.

This particular rifle, loaded with an 80gr Nosler Custom Competition bullet and a healthy charge of H-4350 is driving said bullet to just over 3300fps. Zeroed at 200 yards, that equates to just a fudge over 22 minutes of drop at 1,000 yards (real world data). A 6.5 Creedmoor shooting a 147gr ELD-Match bullet at 2700fps would need just short of 28 minutes to go from a 200yd zero to 1k (based on Hornady's 4DOF ballistic calculator). Of course the 6.5mm bullet will offer less wind drift than the .22 caliber, but it's less than a minute difference at 1k.

The Ackley gives you more case capacity for more velocity. For example, in a standard 22-250 Rem you can typically push a 52/53gr bullet to around 3700fps or so. In a 22-250 Ackley Improved you can push the same bullet to 4000fps. While the extra speed isn't really needed for the traditional bullet weights (40-65gr) for this caliber, it comes in real handy with the heavy for caliber bullets (75gr and up) for long-range shooting.

This particular rifle, loaded with an 80gr Nosler Custom Competition bullet and a healthy charge of H-4350 is driving said bullet to just over 3300fps. Zeroed at 200 yards, that equates to just a fudge over 22 minutes of drop at 1,000 yards (real world data). A 6.5 Creedmoor shooting a 147gr ELD-Match bullet at 2700fps would need just short of 28 minutes to go from a 200yd zero to 1k (based on Hornady's 4DOF ballistic calculator). Of course the 6.5mm bullet will offer less wind drift than the .22 caliber, but it's less than a minute difference at 1k.
    That’s about what I figured but thought to ask vs assume, I’m thinking a faster twist with heavier bullets and hopefully it’s accurate enough at those speeds.
    Myself i run an 6 br Ackley improved but not at the high node of 3000 fps, I find great 1000 yard accuracy around 2930. Hard to complain about accuracy.
    anyway thx now I know what’s up with the 22/250 AI
    Jim