Thread: Anyone using the new Sierra 6.5mm 120 grain Tipped GK that was made for Grendel-type speeds?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tomek View Post
    I got mine from Powder Valley for 33.99 per hundred, which is much lower than other tipped GKs. But I just checked, and they, too, are out of stock.
    Yep, that’s one of the places I checked. Must be a popular choice, these 120’s.

Team Savage
    Well, I did some load work with these tipped Sierras today. I started with the BRM. I got acceptable accuracy but decided not to waste more time or bullets since it previously didn't do its best with sharp-heeled boattailed bullets. Remembering I had an open bag of new Starline 30-30 brass on my loading desk, I decided to give the 6.5 Bullberry a whirl.

I lubed a batch of cases, ran them into a Pacific Durachrome 30-30 neck die to remove imperfections and true the necks and then ran them into a full-length Redding 6.5 BB die with the decapping assembly removed. Next, I ran them into a neck-size die. Doing them this way minimizes the creation of the false shoulder or doughnut. I then trimmed, chamferered and deburred.

I started and ended with SW Precision powder. The accuracy was exceptional. The first three still showed a good bit of sooting on the neck, indicating the load was rather mild and not developing enough pressure to fully seal. I bumped it up a half-grain and then another 0.3 and was rewarded with the same type of gilt-edged accuracy at each level.

Now I just need some cooperative swine so I can check terminal performance...

Below are three of the loads in newly-formed Starline brass. Please pardon the low-rez (and canted!) phone picture. I don't get along too well with the phone camera ha ha...

Basic Member
    looking forward to seeing your report on these. I have some of the 130's that I bought a couple of years ago but was unaware of the 120's. Probably because I stopped looking for Sierra's over a year ago because they were never in stock except for some of the Pro-Hunter flat based bullets.

Grafs & Sons has them in stock this morning. Just ordered 2 boxes