Quote Originally Posted by LReece View Post
As you said it's also all about choices and I should have qualified that some of mine seem to keep pushing the weight into that 11lb range (with scope) based on what I want to spend. I want to have the option to run a can in the future so X-Calibers #5 contour is the minimum I think I can go with to get a threaded muzzle in .30-06 to do that. While I'm sure it's not exact but from my research that seems to be running about 3 to 3.4 lbs with a 22" barrel legnth. I also want to run AICS magazines so the cost of the stock plus bottom metal seems to be putting my stock cost between $7-800 to get down into that 30 to 40oz range with carbon stock regardless if it's a Stockys or Grayboe (if there's other please let me know). If i've done my number correctly based on the action, barrel, stock, & scope weights I would be roughly $1,600 for my rifle (minus cost of scope and me getting my old rifle back for $300) and it should come in at 10lb ready to head into the woods with a carbon stock. Or if I went with something like the Oryx chassis the cost would be roughly $1,300 with a rough weight of 11.5lbs ready to hit the woods.

So yep the $2k was a bit of stretch based on the my above options. But if I wanted to get to a 7-8 lb rifle with the other options I personally want I think my stock or barrel cost is going to start pushing my rifle cost past $2k.

LR
After your first post I was going to ask how you were getting to 12 lbs but it sounds like you've done your homework.... Not a game changer but stockade budget carbon fiber stocks are well under $400. Its a mom and pop business and my understanding is they're slow but people generally seem to like the product.

For me, I'm not worried about brakes, suppressors, etc, but Ill probably be rechambering in the future so I'm sticking with either the xcal lightweight sporter or a custom hand lapped barrel from a gunsmith. Both range right around $450. I've budgeted $200 for little odds and ends (recoil lug/nut, tools, etc) and $5-700 for a scope (new or used, I'm not proud). Add a good amount of my own labor and I think I'll be in business.