Thread: Savage 11 .223 -- bottom metal and magazine questions

Savage 11 .223 -- bottom metal and magazine questions

After a lengthy search for a left-hand .223, I recently acquired a Model 11 Trophy Hunter in that caliber. Unfortunately, it has the plastic magazine trigger guard and surround, so I'd like to replace those with metal parts if I can find them. I've read everything I can find on this forum and elsewhere, and it seems like I want the bottom metal with the thin front edge. However, in looking at photos online, it seems that the magazines for these guns have two or three different latch types. I have only the magazine that came with the gun, and the latch on it is a rather flimsy-looking piece like a shepherd's crook. I'd like to get at least two additional magazines. Am I restricted to magazines like the one that came with my gun? Or must I match the magazine type with bottom metal? Or am I missing something? Any advice appreciated.

Things sure have gotten complicated since I got my first Savage 110L in 1967. It's a 1959 model in .270, and I still have and use it. Killed my first deer and first wild boar with it...many years ago now. :)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers,
    Whisper

I cant remember...does the stock you have accommodate the metal surround piece? Or does it require a different stock?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Ah, now you're getting into an area beyond my knowledge. I just assumed the stock on mine would accommodate a metal surround. I guess I'll need to investigate that and se

Any other advice on this topic is welcome.

Thanks,

Whisper

From what I've read -- some on this forum -- the bottom metal is a direct replacement for the plastic parts on the Savage 11 XP Trophy Hunter like mine. That still doesn't seem to address the difference in magazines, but perhaps someone else can explain this.

Thanks,
    Whisper

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
    From what I've read -- some on this forum -- the bottom metal is a direct replacement for the plastic parts on the Savage 11 XP Trophy Hunter like mine. That still doesn't seem to address the difference in magazines, but perhaps someone else can explain this.

Thanks,
    Whisper
    There are a number of differences, Stagger feed, Center Feed, but when asking about latches yes there are 3 different designs. The one with the plastic Shepherds Hook as you call it has been superseded by the new model that has a push button on the magazine. The other type has the latch lever actually in the bottom metal.

I have a newer 110 with the plastic stock that also has molded in bottom metal. On this one the new model mag works but the old style will not latch in my stock.

Team Savage
    The only helpful information that I can add is the bodies of the mags are the same for the Axis and the Premium mags with the metal baseplate. The baseplates pop off and can be swapped in order to convert it to the different style of release.