Thread: Switching Barrels/Accuracy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So here's a data point...I switched my 25-45 barrel on to my new SSK flatside frame and took it to the range with the same loads as I shot last session on the Contender frame. I didn't get all the way through my load ladder but the out come was very evident just with a few groups down range.

The factory rounds are touching at 50 yards and hitting essentially the same point of impact as with the other frame. The first 3 loads all showed sub-MOA (an improvement over the performance last session) and again, essentially the same point of impact that it had with the same barrel, grip and forend on the other frame.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240221_151139.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	10425

Team Savage
    Good info! And with those groups, it definitely looks like your barrel is brimming with potential.

This thing looks to be downright boring at some point. :) Those are the 100 grain HP plinker rounds I've been working on.

I haven't done any work at 100 yards yet but I expect that the same half-MOA accuracy will hold.
    I've got a Leupy 2.5-8X scope on it so probably out to 200 will be pretty doable. When I get a chance to start really fine-tuning I'll have to work out that far just to be able to keep the holes from touching. :D

Quote Originally Posted by J A XSP View Post
    So here's a data point...I switched my 25-45 barrel on to my new SSK flatside frame and took it to the range with the same loads as I shot last session on the Contender frame. I didn't get all the way through my load ladder but the out come was very evident just with a few groups down range.

The factory rounds are touching at 50 yards and hitting essentially the same point of impact as with the other frame. The first 3 loads all showed sub-MOA (an improvement over the performance last session) and again, essentially the same point of impact that it had with the same barrel, grip and forend on the other frame.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240221_151139.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	10425
    Very nice! I'll be able to test the same scenario soon, I hope. My SSK 50 now wears my .30-30 AI barrel with the same Pachmayr grip and forend that was on the old frame, I just need to remount the scope and I'll be ready to try it out.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Team Savage
    I switch barrels but always back and forth between the same barrel/frame. I carefully measure the barrel to frame distance because that is part of headspace. IMHO if you change the headspace the POI and accuracy will change. Luckily I have 2 Contender and 2 Encore frames the measure .001 with most barrels. One other Contender measures .005 but shoots fine with a dedicated barrel. I do not know if the hinge pin hole in the frame or the barrel lug is drilled wrong.