Well, after getting some brass fireformed, I tried some hunting loads today -- and so far, I am impressed with the potential of this 20.5" Van Horn barrel. The load that got my attention in a hurry features the 95 grain Barnes TTSX driven by SW Precision powder. The first three-shot, 100 yard group went into less than 3/8th of an inch. Group #2 went 0.48. Two groups prove nothing, but it is confidence-inspiring to see such results.

I only verified zero at 200 and did not shoot any groups at that range since I don't have all that much brass ready to go just yet. But I did put one of those 95 grain Barnes bullets into a blend of semi-damp newsprint and bundled cotton fabric at 200. I did not use water or fully-soaked newsprint. Those tend to create more hydraulic effect and generally result in wider mushrooms. But I have no complaints from what I saw. The widest part of the mushroom measure 0.597" while the narrowest is .536".

I did not clock it at that range. But the program I use indicates impact speed should have been around 2350 fps. One day, I'll run the load over the chronograph at that range to get an actual figure.

The Hornady 120 grain SST also did well, though I hate the cannelure being so far out of the case. It just looks odd to me. Nonetheless, the one group I fired with this bullet and SW Precision measured 0.69 for three shots at 100 yards, and the velocity at 15 feet averaged just a bit over 2600 fps.

Here's the recovered Barnes bullet. Pardon the poor quality phone image.