Thread: Why go from the model 10 to the 110?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Why go from the model 10 to the 110?

What happened at savage to make them kill off their traditional bolt rifle for the 110? My newer model 10 marked savage is actually a 110 style action. The ejection port is small and the rcvr isn't cut down on the side. I really love the look of the traditional savage action.

Is there any rhyme or reason for this? The model 10 and fcp mag fed rifles were the best value and most accurate savage out the box under $1000. I'm hoping to find another model 10 to do a second 6.5 rifle or even just a 308.

Banned
    It’s the same Action that has been. There have been minor changes through the years, but nothing has been killed off. From what you’re saying, sounds like you have a port style Action with Bottom Bolt Release(BBR), vs the Top Bolt Release(TBR). However, the TBR is still readily available. They just stopped using the 10/110 numerical to identify Long or Short Action; now simply called 110 SA & 110 LA.

Several are the same Action it’s been for the last 15+ years. For instance the 110 Tactical Short Action. It’s the same Action as the 10 Tactical from prior years. Just in a newer stock & such.
    https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57006

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    It’s the same Action that has been. There have been minor changes through the years, but nothing has been killed off. From what you’re saying, sounds like you have a port style Action with Bottom Bolt Release(BBR), vs the Top Bolt Release(TBR). However, the TBR is still readily available. They just stopped using the 10/110 numerical to identify Long or Short Action; now simply called 110 SA & 110 LA.

Several are the same Action it’s been for the last 15+ years. For instance the 110 Tactical Short Action. It’s the same Action as the 10 Tactical from prior years. Just in a newer stock & such.
    https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57006
    Ok thanks. Cause this is confusing. Like the 10 is short and the 110 is long. Already had that established. And some of the mags changed now as well it seems. I really prefer the 4/10rnd rock in mags, so I'll have to get that style so all mine swap... Some have single stack with an AK paddle style release. I'd have to look into choate and other mfg to see how that works and it the action is machined the same for compatibility.

Glad they still make that style tho! I'll look into that for the next one. This port eject 10 is not my style!

Basic Member
    Just know that you aren't the only one who finds their name changes confusing and irritating.

PS if you are looking for a tactical style and want to have more than one magazine, make sure the rifle is AICS compatible. Savage mags are rare (and expensive), even the new ones.

Basic Member
    They ARE!! And i luckily I have 2-3 4rnd and 1 10rnd tho. I bit the bullet and got spares, $42 a pop! But they work great.

I have the Ashbury precision in 308 that takes AICS style so I might buy a new "tactical 110" in 6.5, swap in that and put the new 110 closed port rcvr .308 into the gray stock and sell that. Then I keep the Ashbury chassis and go to 6.5 AND have the receiver I'm used to and enjoy. The 308 isn't qui the tack driver that the 6.5 is, and I already have 2 other 6.5s so this would standardize things for me.

Just trying to fix an oversight on the purchase I made! Thanks for the help, I'm VERY happy they still make em!

Banned
    Which one did you get?