Thread: What to do, what to do???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tomek View Post

Am getting ready...
    I have to say, of all the 225-based wildcats, I think I like the idea of this 270 version the best. I liked that 6.8 Long Rimmed barrel and even using 30-30 brass much shorter than full length, it had a lot of potential. Your x225 version should really be capable of some power and velocity, even with heavier bullets. :)

Team Savage
    I really haven't toyed with the idea of potential velocity for this one, but it has a good bit more capacity than a 6.8 SPC, so anything above 6.8 SPC performance will be gravy, so to speak. I'd be completely content with the 120 grain SST at 2600 fps (factory 6.8 120 grain SST load claims something like 2460 fps) or the 95 grainer in the 2850 range. He'll be shipping to me on Tuesday, so maybe by next weekend I'll have it. For fireforming, I have 100 blem Nosler 130 grain BTs that I bought for about $26 when they were on sale last year.

Team Savage
    That should put you right at 6.5 JDJ performance close any way, I may have to buy one of those new Garmin radars

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmarine View Post
    That should put you right at 6.5 JDJ performance
    Sunny, out of curiosity, I put together a chart pitting my 6.5 Bullberry with a 24" barrel and a 120 grain Ballistic Tip at 2600 fps versus a .270 JDJ with a 130 grain Ballistic Tip at 2575 fps. I don't have that barrel yet, but data from a 14" shows 2440-2487 fps with a 130 grain Nosler, so I figure 2575 should be a safe goal from the 21" tube. Here's how they stack up.

Basic Member
    Looks like performance wise, the 270JDJ holds its own very well when compared with the 6.5 version. And, as a plus, if that one does shoot 130's well, i've noticed in the off season when deer seasons are closed, .270 bullets usually seem to be very readily available.

Looking forward to range reports. Have you decided what glass is going in this one?

Team Savage
    Unless I do some swapping around and playing musical scopes, I am going to put a GPO 7.5x50 on it for now. Was going to get one from one of my favorite vendors here in the states, but I found one for significantly less in Slovenia. I ordered it Sunday, and it will be here tomorrow. With shipping, custom fees, etc., the total for the scope was something like $428.

I've ordered multiple items from Optics Trade EU and have been well-pleased each occasion. And the shipping time just floors me. The longest it has taken has been four business days, and that's because of a sorting/routing issue in Louisville. The other times, it has always been two to three days.

As to the scope, the mid-to-upper-end GPO scopes have very nice optics. They claim to have improved the illumination system and tailored it more for low light usage. Previous GPOs were simply too bright on their lowest setting at dusk/twilight. I'm curious to find out if that is indeed true.