Thread: What to do, what to do???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Meanwhile, I have this pile of NOS Winchester .25-35 brass.....
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Meanwhile, I have this pile of NOS Winchester .25-35 brass.....
    I think I'd rather have a 25-35 than the 25 Bullberry barrel I have. Before LVR powder there was no comparison but the 25-35 will keep up with the larger-capacity Bullberry with new powders. If for no other reason, 25-35 dies are cheap and plentiful. I'm still loading without a 25-35 die set and don't see buying a set any time soon. :)

Team Savage
    I was momentarily excited , I have been thinking of selling my 25-35 Barrel and getting a 23-35 AI or a 25 BB but now I dunno, See what you've done now I do have Leverevelution hummmmm I wonder what that would do in my 257 JDJ

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmarine View Post
    I was momentarily excited , I have been thinking of selling my 25-35 Barrel and getting a 23-35 AI or a 25 BB but now I dunno, See what you've done now I do have Leverevelution hummmmm I wonder what that would do in my 257 JDJ
    I can tell you that the 25Bullberry doesn't love the LVR powder. And in fact, I've found apparent pressure spikes in the 30-30 AI. It seems to be specifically designed to work well with slope-shouldered cases of a certain capacity. And even then, it's only listed with certain bullet weights. It's tricky stuff. For cases with extra capacity, there are powders- Varget, H4895, maybe CFE223 - that will equal the performance without hitting a wall and spiking.

Team Savage
    I do use CFE223 in a number of cases not listed with good results

Team Savage
    JA-

I never got the accuracy I wanted with LVR in the 30-30AI barrels I had but found sweet spots and fantastic accuracy in the 7mm Bullberry and 7-30 Waters. I wondered if a hotter primer may have done better with the volume of LVR needed for the 30-30 AI but never got around to testing that. Even in the 25-35, LVR was magical, especially with the 80 grain Barnes TTSX.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tomek View Post
    JA-

I never got the accuracy I wanted with LVR in the 30-30AI barrels ...
    I've got notes that indicate .5" grouping with bulk Winchester 150 grain bullets at around a grain and a half over max for 30-30. Just a few tenths of a grain over that and it showed definite pressure signs. I was working to anecdotal data that pushed way beyond that but I found a hard limit. Given the accuracy at what looked like okay pressure, I should go back and revisit that powder and do some chrony work. Varget is so accurate that I don't find much need for anything else when I have it but I stocked up on the LVR when Varget was scarce. I may compare some velocities with 150 grainers and see if the LVR is showing some advantage.