Thread: What to do, what to do???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage

What to do, what to do???

Well, I made an impulse buy and have 100 pieces of new .225 Win brass coming my way. But the funny thing is that I no longer have a barrel that uses it.

I have a 6.5 BRM, a 6.5 Bullberry and a .300 Savage in Contender rifle format...all with 24" barrels. So those bore diameters are well-covered.

It's been years since I had a .257 JDJ, and the .226 version also sounds appealing, though waiting on dies and a full barrel tries my patience. SSK often has a 20" .257 JDJ in stock but I've yet to see a .226 listed in available inventory. The bullets I'd use in a 6mm are hard to come by, so I'll likely not even consider that version. Also, I have yet to have an SSK barrel since the changes with the company took place and don't have a feel for the current quality level. Plus, most of their in-stock offerings have threaded barrels, a feature which I'd never take advantage of.

I prefer 22-24" barrel length and over the past two days have perused all the sites with used barrels. But nothing tickled my fancy, so to speak.

I know Van Horn makes barrels based off the .225 IMP case as I had a 6.5x.225 VH Special. A 24" .225 AI with a 1:8 might be just the ticket. I may drop forum member Mark C. a note later and see if they have anything is existing inventory that might get my attention.

So what would you guys do?

Do I simply keep the brass for a rainy day, trade it for some bullets or brass that I do use, or do I hold out for a .225-based barrel of some sort?

My experience with the SSK Hunter barrels has been limited but eventful, let's say. I got 445 Supermag 20" with an impossibly sloppy chamber. Got absolutely no help from SSK but Marty took care of things and sent me another barrel. That one has a much much better chamber but not anything I'd categorize as tight tolerance. Currently I'm trying out a 44 Mag 18" and it seems pretty reasonably made. Chamber is cut to nearly the exact same spec as the EABCO 44 mag 24" that I got to do some velocity testing. I wanted to compare the quality of those two brands and I can say that the EABCO reminded me of late-production TC factory stuff while the SSK seems a little cleaner in the bore machining. Neither comes close to any of the the Bullberry barrels that I've gotten. Regarding the threads, I find that with the shorter barrels, a linear compensator is very useful in terms of keeping the muzzle blast directed away from face and ears and goes a long way toward improving balance and looks. I would have to think that the SSK custom barrels were more precisely machined than the hunters but I have no idea. I think they'll all shoot fine but whether they'll offer bug-hole accuracy is an open question.

As for you dilemma, seems like .257 JDJ would be the ticket for the sort of shooting you normally do. I wouldn't personally waste time with a 22 cal wildcat. For contender, 223 Remington or maybe 222 Rem Mag would be all you need. For any bolt action, 22-250 is just too hard to beat in terms of accuracy and speed. Personally, I'd like to have a 223 Contender carbine again but with my CZ, there's just no need for it. My 14" Contender set up in 223 covers all my 22cal Contender needs.

Your 1:8 225 AI might be a very cool setup and a fun project, though. :)

I have a 18” 226 jdj 1 in 7 twist that I had built 15 years or so ago. I have it set up on a G2 pistol configuration. I strictly shoot it off the bench. Quality and accuracy are excellent. Can not speak as to current SSK quality.

pet load is 80 grain A-Max’s.(average velocity 2594 fps)But also shoots 69 gr.sierra’s very well.(average velocity 2791 fps) 55 gr. Nos BTs at 2986 fps.

there is no published 225 win data that I have found for anything over a 70 gr. Bullet. I am still on my original 100 cases of brass.

I too have been looking for a 257 jdj barrel. Seems like no one wants to let go of them.

Team Savage
    My three reasons to buy all the 225 win bras I run across in order of my choice 257 JDJ 20" 12.5" , 6.5 JDJ 20" 226 JDJ 14", I want a 20" 226 JDJ but have decided to see if I run in to one already made,

Bobby much like the accuracy of the 25-35 I got from you the 257 JDJ shoots like a laser as well, Mondays 5 shot group 1" at 300 yards, This Monday it was a perfect day just warm enough to need only a sweat shirt and a hint of a directly down range breeze that would die for 10 minutes at a time and the 20" 257 of old SSK barrel made my day

I am considering another 225 win I have 2 of them also, A 1-12 and a 1-10 thinking a 1-8 is needed

I have been on the lookout for a used fast twist 257 jdj. I have a healthy supply of 225 brass.

Also a 257 TCU is on my want list

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjshell View Post
    I have been on the lookout for a used fast twist 257 jdj. I have a healthy supply of 225 brass.

Also a 257 TCU is on my want list
    I wish that too, I would be good at 1-9 or 1-8 but NO, I can get 1-7 or 1-7.5 thinking the 1-7.5
    I sold my 257 TCU thinking it would not matter the other 25s will do.... wrong I did have a soft spot for it the only reason I dont have one made the case is not rimmed

I am supposed to be down sizing

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmarine View Post
    My three reasons to buy all the 225 win bras I run across in order of my choice 257 JDJ 20" 12.5" , 6.5 JDJ 20" 226 JDJ 14", I want a 20" 226 JDJ but have decided to see if I run in to one already made,

Bobby much like the accuracy of the 25-35 I got from you the 257 JDJ shoots like a laser as well, Mondays 5 shot group 1" at 300 yards, This Monday it was a perfect day just warm enough to need only a sweat shirt and a hint of a directly down range breeze that would die for 10 minutes at a time and the 20" 257 of old SSK barrel made my day

I am considering another 225 win I have 2 of them also, A 1-12 and a 1-10 thinking a 1-8 is needed
    Sunny I'm glad to see that 20" 257 JDJ doing well for you and getting some time at the range instead of just in my safe.

Team Savage
    Bruce, I had almost sold it a time or two wanting a stainless barrel instead, Timing and no way am I paying that much for a barrel kept this one in the corral, Then after shooting it (I still want stainless) I will be keeping it just in case I ever get a blue G2 frame