Thread: What one type of bullet have you killed the most game with?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'd say that 3 bullets have been responsible for pretty much every scrap of meat that's gone in the freezer for over a decade:

- That trusty Hornady 6.5 129 gr SP Interlock was my go-to for pigs or deer if I felt like a body shot was likely rather than a neck shot.
    - Nosler 6.5 100 gr Ballistic Tip for deer out to about as far as I figured I could hit anything.
    - Sierra 30 cal 125 gr Pro Hunter once I switched over to 30-30 AI

Before that, I took a number of deer with 22 Hornet, 223 and 22-250 but went with a little more power after a hog ran on me and helped me gain a half a day of very intense tracking experience. :)

Basic Member
    Mostly Nosler BT in various calibers.

Since I use a wide range of calibers and guns I can’t really nail a single bullet down. In the past I was 70% Nosler, however as my supplies got low and were difficult to replace , I have gravitated to Hornady.

Since I started handloading I have used more Nosler offerings than anything with Sierra coming in a distant second. In my specialty pistols Nosler Ballistic Tips have been the choice, the 125 grain .30 caliber is the one I have used on most of the game I have taken. I have a great load worked up for my 7-30 Waters with the 120 grain Ballistic Tip but I have only a few loaded rounds left and then I'm out of bullets so I guess I'll look for something else. I'm open for recommendations if anybody has any!
    Lately I have been gravitating toward calibers that I can use cast bullets for so I'm not at the mercy of the manufacturers.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

6MM Sierra GameKing 85gr HPBT.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    6MM Sierra GameKing 85gr HPBT.
    I haven't used that one in many years, but it certainly proved to be lethal on deer from a .243 WCF back in the 80s. Was extremely accurate in a 14" 6mm-.223 as well.

What are you running it in?

Basic Member
    Hornady Vmax's in multiple calibers. Nasty bullets.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Since I started handloading I have used more Nosler offerings than anything with Sierra coming in a distant second. In my specialty pistols Nosler Ballistic Tips have been the choice, the 125 grain .30 caliber is the one I have used on most of the game I have taken. I have a great load worked up for my 7-30 Waters with the 120 grain Ballistic Tip but I have only a few loaded rounds left and then I'm out of bullets so I guess I'll look for something else. I'm open for recommendations if anybody has any!
    Lately I have been gravitating toward calibers that I can use cast bullets for so I'm not at the mercy of the manufacturers.

I hate when I work up a good load and then can't find one of the components. But it's fairly common the past few years. As to your situation: Now that Hornady has tweaked the 120 grain V-Max (early one were very brittle), it's a decent substitute for the 120 grain BT in the Waters as long as impact speed is 1900 fps or above (and no more than 2600). The Speer 130 grainers (both the flat-based Hot Core and BTSP) do well at Waters speeds, too. These are fine down to around 1850 fps. I wish there was a soft monolithic bullet for it that performs like the Barnes TacTx 110 and 120 grainers in .30 caliber. They'd not only be popular among Waters/TCU shooters but would be dynamite in rounds like the 7-08 as well.

The 120 grain Single Shot Pistol bullet from Hornady and 130 grain SSP from Sierra were fantastic but are long out of production. Once in a great while, though, a few boxes surface. A friend of mine works in the oil field industry and travels quite a bit. On his time off, he checks out all the gun and pawn shops that he can. While in west Texas recently, he found four boxes of the original Hornady 120 grain SSP, the bullet he used to use in a 7mm International Rimmed. He said they had yellowed price tags of $22.99 each, but the guy let him have them for $18 a box since they "sat here forever." I told him with luck like that, he should go out and buy a lotto ticket as well ha ha.