Thread: Extractor/Ejector kits: Factory vs. Kinney’s vs. Lumley. W/pictures.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    It’s ok Bill. I’m not referring to the play between the bolt head and sleeve. Yes, that’s completely normal. I’ll just try running the Lumley to see. Sometimes what happens operating a firearm by hand isn’t what takes place in actual operation. I’ll report back.

Banned
    Well, I tried it. And it was exactly as I had feared. When chambering a round using the Lumley Ejector, it jams up/wind chamber. Rather, the Bolt won’t close all the way. The Ejector gets caught up right on the surface of the bolt face as I predicted. The picture below I enlarged & circled the offending area in Red. It’s easy to see how the cut out part of the Ejector is above the bolt face, and it catches & stops right there. So the round is unable to push the Ejector into the hole. So back to the Kinney’s Ejector. However; the Lumley Extractor works perfectly.

Basic Member
    That sucks!!

Banned
    Here it really shows the issue. He’s, I’m disappointed because I love the design & the attention put into it with the TiN PVD coating & the spring keeper tail. I think maybe it was just this specific kit with the Ejector I received, being machined a bit off. Because others are using them without the Ejector doing the same. And again, the Lumley Extractor, springs & the steel ball I received all work flawlessly. And I’m using the Extra for!

But in this pic can really see how far it’s able to lean and the shelf sitting high above the bolt face surface easily able to catch the edge of the hole.

Compared to the Kinney’s having the shelf extend down into the hole, the cutout for the stop pin is not machined too high so the shelf is not above the surface. Also, the diameter is a bit thicker on the Kinney’s at .099”, while the Lumley’s Ejector diameter is .0945”.

Basic Member
    Wow Dave., that first one is way undersized,the ejector bore oversized or both I took a quick look at the Lumley's I put in the two bolt heads and neither one had nearly that much slop. As far a function after cleaning the ejector bores and the CLP treatment even the first pieces of brass ejected with the Lumley's. Did you happen to measure the ejector bore in that bolt head?

I'd rip one of mine apart but I fighting another demon at the moment. It seems my truck has a random parasitic draw which kills the battery in a matter of matter of few hours. When I say random it may kill the battery today, tomorrow or next week. No tell'n why or when! Dang new contraptions!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Banned
    The ejector bore in the bolt head is fine. Both the factory & Kinney’s Ejectors operate normally. The second picture is the bolt head using with the Kinney’s Ejector. Can see it operates perfectly.

Ahhhh… parasitic draw problems! I was always really good at tracking those down in my profession as a master auto tech.

Team Savage
    Dave,
    Thanks for the info on bolt parts.
    The ejector I got from Midway is like the one with the short upper section/long slot.
    Potential to get hung up?