Hey all,

I recently picked up a like new 308 24" fluted savage in the Ashbury precision chassis. I added an XLR stock and I started with a Nikon m tactical 3-12 but decided to get nice glass and got a Zeiss conquest 4-16, on vortex PRO rings. It's all setup nicely but the groups are not so great. I have another similar savage in 6.5, jb skim bedded into a choate with a 3-12 m tactical on it and it does 1/2" at 100 all day. 3/4" is a bad day for this been out to 1035yds many times with ease.

The Ashbury model has a different receiver style, and I read they are blueprinted for Ashbury. That chassis is no longer offered, and I am not sure the adjusting procedure is for the screws.

I worked up 168gr ELDM and some 150gr fmj loads from what I have....

42.5gr varget
45gr BLC2.

COAL is 2.790, about .020-.025 off jam.

I tried a bunch but I'm not seeing better than .750". Rounds aren't tight. They are like a bad group with the 6.5. I feel good shooting it but the groups are NOT what I wanna see for long range chassis rifle money and precision use. I'm considering pulling my parts off and offloading it at the gun show next week, but I also wonder.....did I get someone else's meh barrel headache? I don't wanna buy 175/180/190 and do all that. So far I'm seeing either a picky barrel or a not that great barrel. For $1100+ base I thought it would offer more accuracy than a Tupperware savage does. Is it just me, can I not shoot 308?

I'm looking for advice.