Newbie question:

I have a 12FV in 6.5mm Creedmoor and had an unusually high velocity with one round recently.

I was using Sierra Match King 150gr with 41.0gr of Reloder RL16. Velocities for this batch of 10 rounds varied between 2678 to 2700 ft/sec, but the very last one kicked off at 3,050 ft/sec! I stopped shooting at that point, until I could resolve the issue.

I've already traced the production issue down. I'm certain it must have been a bullet seated a bit further into the case than normal, and it was caused by a slip of a bearing on the press. I have already fixed the press in such a way that this problem can't happen again. It looks like this round got through my final inspection process - which I'm also changing in response to this!

Out of an abundance of caution I've retired the case (Starline), but before I take the rifle out again, a 13% higher velocity than expected means there must have been a considerably higher chamber pressure inside the rifle than normal, so I wanted to know if I should be concerned about the rifle itself?

Thanks for any advice.

Ross.