Thread: Savage, build a better mag...Please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    What type of stock is it? The reason I ask is if you could raise the bottom metal a little bit that would help. I know you should not have to do that.

I'm glad I read this cause the next time I need a mag I'm calling Savage for a free one.

Good luck to you

Snyder takes a Savage mag and "hollows it out" for a metal body insert. My .260 Rem has a German G3 magazine trimmed to 10-round

He does cover the .350 Legend and .223 Savages. No need to change the bottom "metal". Not cheap . . . but well done.

https://www.snydermags.com/shop/
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I'm guessing your having issues with the .350 Legend feeding, which is a widely known common issue with the Savage's. As Dave said, you'll need to open the feed lips slightly on that mag due to the .350 Legend being slightly larger in diameter than the .223 the mag was designed for.

And while Dave may be a smartass now and again when someone mentions switching to another brand of rifle, with certain cartridges I often recommend people do just that as the Savage's just don't feed certain cartridges well (the Creedmoor's being another perfect example). Dave just fails to understand that not everyone likes to tinker with their rifles like he does, and they sure as hell don't want to have to fix their brand new rifle because the manufacturer cant' figure out how to or simply can't be bothered to make them right.

Love my Savage rifles, but I also accept that they're far from perfect and they aren't always the best option.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    I'm guessing your having issues with the .350 Legend feeding, which is a widely known common issue with the Savage's. As Dave said, you'll need to open the feed lips slightly on that mag due to the .350 Legend being slightly larger in diameter than the .223 the mag was designed for.

And while Dave may be a smartass now and again when someone mentions switching to another brand of rifle, with certain cartridges I often recommend people do just that as the Savage's just don't feed certain cartridges well (the Creedmoor's being another perfect example). Dave just fails to understand that not everyone likes to tinker with their rifles like he does, and they sure as hell don't want to have to fix their brand new rifle because the manufacturer cant' figure out how to or simply can't be bothered to make them right.

Love my Savage rifles, but I also accept that they're far from perfect and they aren't always the best option.

Excellent point. Savages are a good platform for people who want or are willing to learn and understand the ins and outs, to learn the why's and how to fix things. That can carry you a long way in understanding the improvements that customs and other manufaturers provide. When you have experimented and fixed for years you realize things are better with other platforms. Savage does draw you near if you have a lot of tools and plenty of "Bench Time".
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.