Thread: Firing pin/bolt bushing service?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MS50 View Post
    Dave, are you saying that PTG bolt heads are made to specs that don't require bushing using Savage OEM firing pins? I thought I read something somewhere about PTG bolt heads in regards to this issue, but I can't find it.
    The PTG bolt heads are machined to tighter specs. They have fixed cratering conditions for some. But so does bolt bushing. And at much less expense. Also, the PTG bolts heads typically need to be fit. And then headspaced. I didn’t by a rifle & start changing things out. I built my Savage from the start because, well, that’s what I do. I also machined a firing pin striker to fit perfectly. Everything about firearms is hobby to me.

I’m not trying to discourage or encourage. If trying to fix a potential problem, there are more straightforward ways. And if it’s hobby, I don’t have to recommend either way.

Team Savage
    I understand what you're saying. I use PTG bolt heads on a 6br and 223 that were installed prior to headspacing aftermarket barrels. Neither rifle craters primers. I wouldn't replace bolt heads to solve a cratering problem. I'd get the bolt head bushed as a first measure.