Thread: Savage 110 Conversion to 26 Nosler

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Savage 110 Conversion to 26 Nosler

So guys I got the 26 Nosler bug and have a Savage 110 that was originally .308, currently it is a 6.5 Creedmoor but I want to do it in 26 Nosler. This is a TRUE long action Savage 110 even though it was chambered in .308. I think I may have to mill a little of the receiver bottom? It is in a LA Bell and Carlson stock already.

Parts I have already purchased -

X-Caliber 5R Barrel 1:8 Bull Blank in 6.5 ( I will profile, thread and chamber myself)
    Magnum Bolt Head for RH Savage 110 with parts kit
    26 Nosler reamer and head space gauges

What obstacles am I going to run into besides the magazine box? Any advice for that? I am all ears, the 26 Nosler is a new one for me.

Yes I know it is overbore and supposedly burns barrels, not concerned about that, also not concerned about small shank large shank debates as I have full faith in the small shank for this cartridge.

Thanks for any information on the actual conversion you might have!

Here is the rifle to be converted -
    [IMG][/IMG]

Banned
    Im not positive off hand, but I don’t believe you’ll need to machine the magwell. I believe it was all accomplished via blocking the mag box. Have you pulled the barreled action from the stock? Although, if you want to run a magazine, I would certainly machine it just the bit to allow the Centerfeed AICS. Also, you won’t hear any debate with it being Small Shank either. Many, many people are running full magnums in the Small Shank. Even Savage did until awhile after the WSM cartridges were released. That’s when they started making the Large Shank. But even they were originally made in the Small Shank Actions.

No other obstacles.

Basic Member
    The X-Caliber barrel blank arrived today 1.25" diameter. I chucked it up in the old Southbend and used the taper attachment to profile it .830 at the muzzle 26" long straight taper. Got it chambered and the receiver shank threaded. That may be the largest chamber I have ever cut, a real big hole! I cut a 2 step target crown and it is ready to mount and headspace. Turns out I am going to have to machine 3/8 from the bottom of the receiver for the magazine length. No big deal... The Magnum bolt head came in, I trued the face of it on the lathe, just a skim cut to make it perfect. Undecided about a muzzle break but probably should thread it for one. I am sure she is a mule kicker.

Banned
    We like pictures of things..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr65 View Post
    The X-Caliber barrel blank arrived today 1.25" diameter. I chucked it up in the old Southbend and used the taper attachment to profile it .830 at the muzzle 26" long straight taper. Got it chambered and the receiver shank threaded. That may be the largest chamber I have ever cut, a real big hole! I cut a 2 step target crown and it is ready to mount and headspace. Turns out I am going to have to machine 3/8 from the bottom of the receiver for the magazine length. No big deal... The Magnum bolt head came in, I trued the face of it on the lathe, just a skim cut to make it perfect. Undecided about a muzzle break but probably should thread it for one. I am sure she is a mule kicker.
    With Your skills You should “bush” the Firing Pin. Or send it to Carlsbad or Grimstod.

I can’t imagine that You “wouldn’t” need a Break on that thing !!!

Basic Member
    Ok got a bit done today. Ran into several issues I had to resolve, the first was the magnum bolt head they sent was not the exact right one. It needed a notch machined as pictured, then the firing pin hole was for a different firing pin so it had to be opened and it was as hard as wood pecker lips, while I was at it I bushed it, can you tell? I cut the receiver on the milling machine to accept the magnum magazine box and re-blued. Cut the muzzle threads for the break. I also got it head spaced. Maybe tomorrow I will assemble the rest if I get time.Rifle ought to shoot as it has given me all kinds of issues! Usually the tough ones shoot best :)

The pictures are in no particular order they just show some of the before and after stuff...

[IMG] [/IMG]

Banned
    Very nice. Wish you had chime in before machining the bolt head. You would have been better off getting the Small diameter firing pin & new Cross Pin. Or machining them both parts as I did. Your Factory Large Diam. Firing Pin set up is much more likely to fail, due to the Cross Pin cracking. (Because the center home is too wide.) The Small Diameter Firing Pin uses the much stronger Cross Pin. I have a picture of the failure somewhere.