No kidding on the “old school fans”, HA! I’m SO in the crowd! I started with Savage in the mid 90’s. At the time, as a broke 18yo, it was for the price. But I learned to love my first Model 111 combo in 30-06, with its Simmons 3-9x40 glass, LOL! They just stuck with me. But I learned them in & out through the later years & now will only buy used rifles for the Actions, or just buying the Actions themselves, then build it up myself. I simply could not be happier with my current Model Rig. It’s about as custom built as a Savage platform can be, with a host of Titanium parts(including several a few I machined myself!). Everything about it is precisely what I want. It’s more accurate than I am by a long margin, and I sincerely love looking at wearing its beautiful Cerakote paint scheme. (Applied by yours truly!)

Also, I agree completely with Charlie on the Crown. You know why the official crown used is recommended to be 11 degrees on barrels? Because nobody recommended 12 degrees first! Seriously, there is absolutely no science behind the angle of a muzzle crown being precisely 11 degrees! None! There simply needs to be some type of crown on the muzzle. It should be cleanly & even machined, but it doesn’t matter if it’s 11, 11.7, 13 or 22 degrees… whatever! I have mine done recessed Target as well, because I like how they look! But I’ll be completely honest: if I ordered a barrel with the Recessed & it came with the standard 11 degree target, I wouldn’t send it back. No sir, it’s just not that important because I know it won’t affect accuracy in any way. By the way… what does the crown look like on your rifle?