Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
No, manufacturers don’t do that. There is a certain unspoken they expect people to have a certain knowledge of doing such projects. When I purchased my first MDT chassis, I knew how to install everything correctly.

Everything I’ve done I learned long before ever trying. All it takes is research. Everything you could possibly want to know about Savages has been discussed many times in the past. Before replacing a barrel, I had spent weeks & weeks learning to do so by research online. I read every blog I could, watched every video I could. I had everything in place and the job went without a hitch because I was prepared. That’s only one small example, however, every I do for the first time has been that way.

While I am a fervent supporter for DIY, I do believe people should take on their own the research involved. Also, people must be honest with themselves on mechanical ability. If someone is the kind who takes their car to the shop to have wiper blades replaced, well, they are likely not a DIY candidate & should probably rely on a Gunsmith.

6ARC, this isn’t meant towards you. I’m speaking to new shooters/gun owners. Asking questions of know more knowledgeable users is great. And, a type of research. But if a person was asking question after question on specifics of “how do I do this?? And, now how do I do that?” I’d say that person may need some actual professional learning first.
" A man`s GOT to know his limitations." Harry Callahan, Magnum Force
While a line in a movie, a lot of truth and wisdom in that statement IMHO. Wonder how many things have been royally buggered up by people saying " I can do that! " when it reality they couldn`t and a simple request for assistance from someone who actually could would have saved a lot of pain. Not to mention expense in the long run.