Thread: Is It Worth It?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    I know it`s ultimately my decision, but I respect greatly the opinions of the forum. My Model 12 LRPV is so far capable of easy sub-MOA groups at 100. It`s also printing 4-4.5" 5 shot groups at 500, all with factory ammo, when I don`t screw up the shot. I know the Accutrigger on the gun has some room to lighten up, but I`ve always been a " if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it " kind of guy. Also have to admit I`ve not put a gauge on the trigger pull. I`m just hesitant to start taking stuff apart, fooling with action screws, etc. and maybe messing up something that I probably should have left alone in the first place. I also realize that without working up hand loads I`ll probably never fully realize the gun`s true capabilities, regardless. Thanks guys, just interested in thoughts.
    Try some hand loads. But you have to find the load/bullet that your rifle likes.
    I had a Savage Varmint rifle in 223, and with factory match loads it would shoot 1 inch or so.
    However with hand loads with one particular bullet it would shoot 3/8" at 100 yards all day long.

I also had a 6mm BR barrel on that same action and it wasn't shooting so hot until I found the magic load on the 6mmBR website.
    With that load, I was immediately shooting 3/4" groups at 300 yards if I was doing my part.

Banned
    I very honestly wouldn’t touch a thing. Especially if your range is expanding to 1K yards! You are Going to want to rebarrel the very day you have access to that range. While you certainly can use 223 to shoot out to 1,000, it’s not practical. Anything other than dead calm, even a slight breeze, just pushes those 22cal bullets all over the place. You’ll likely want to go to 6.5 Creedmoor. Especially if you want to continue using factory ammunition.

Unless of course, you simply just get a second rifle when the time comes…to better handle the extra target distance. Certainly an option. 223 is among my favorite cartridges & I will always have a rifle chambered for it. However, I’m not a fan of 223 in Bolt Guns. I prefer my AR15 for 223 affairs.