Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
IMHO you are doing as well as your ammo. Much of the std factory .223 ammo I have used was lucky to get to MOA (1" at 100yd, 5" at 500yd, etc). I started reloading the .223 for that reason. You can find some factory ammo such as the IMI Fuj mentioned. There is also the Black Hills and Federal Gold Medal Match. If money is not an issue then Lapua has factory ammo as well. People win matches with premium ammo in this caliber. And, YES, I'd get some 77 or even 80gn loads to try. My cheap Axis in .223 loved 77gn Sierra Match Kings.

I would not mess with the gun except maybe to adjust the trigger. The factory trigger is a good one. I have the varmint trigger (silver blade) on my BVSS and I like it. If you have the red blade target trigger it is considered one of the best for your Savage.

Your factory stock already has an aluminum bedding rail so just torque the screws evenly.

BEWARE!!!! This rifle may become addicting!! Once you start shooting smaller groups you will find you can't stop. Pretty soon you'll want smaller groups. Then you'll make more investments. Pretty soon you will go 'down the rabbit hole' in search of tiny groups and hitting the X ring.

PS where in GA do you shoot at 500yd?
Charlie, yes, I`ve pretty much become addicted to the pursuit of smaller groups, thanks to this rifle! In a very short time I`ve gone from, " No way I could ever hit ANYTHING at 500 yards with a rifle " to being disappointed in a group over 5" at 500. I`m trying now to better my best group of 4.25 ". I`m finding it to be quite the challenge!
To answer your question, 17 South Rod and Gun Club in Richmond Hill, GA. Bedroom community of Savannah. Only range over 100 yards within relatively reasonable driving distance. There are tentative plans to expand to 1K for the range. Lord knows gun and scope wise what I might have to do then, LOL!