Savagefan, while I agree with your diagnosis that the magazine lips need tweaking, I would disagree with the notion that they need to be bent inward to better center the cartridge. Bending the lip inward would also hold the round lower in the magazine as we're dealing with an arc here. I instead would be inclined to bend the lip slightly upward allowing the round to sit higher in the magazine and thus have more purchase area available for the bolt face to catch to strip it from the magazine.

To the OP - adjusting the feed lips can be easily accomplished by wrapping the jaws of some decent pliers with a couple layers of electrical tape to prevent the teeth from marring up the sheet metal. The magazine housings are made of spring steel and can be stubborn, but just remember a little tweak can go a long, long way in how the round is presented to the bolt. As such, take your time and make very small adjustments until you find that happy spot.

This is also a task you'll often have to do with most factory replacement sheet metal magazines you will buy for most any make/model of rifle as the feed lips on the magazine that comes with the rifle is tweaked specifically for that rifle at the factory during the assembly process. (just ask anyone who's purchased an extra or replacement single-stack Savage rimfire magazine)