Thread: Savage Actions Source

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Try show up in our classifieds from time to time. You could post a want ad in there and one will most likely turn up. You just need to be very descriptive of what you want due to the numerous variations that Savage has
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

I only own two Savages, and both are stainless steel. Are the Savage actions sold by NSS steel and blued?

Basic Member
    You can get stainless or not- but either works good. The problem with buying a bare action is that you can pay more for it than a complete gun..... so unless you want a specialized option that is hard to find, it is usually cheaper to buy a parts gun.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    You can get stainless or not- but either works good. The problem with buying a bare action is that you can pay more for it than a complete gun..... so unless you want a specialized option that is hard to find, it is usually cheaper to buy a parts gun.
    Very true!

Team Savage
    Saw a Stainless rifle in .204 that I figured would be a good action for one of my builds. Pulled the action, posted the barrel and stock for sale without ever firing a shot. Sold both the next day. Got the action I wanted and by selling off the parts, made out pretty good.
    If someone else can do the "pull down thang", why not you?
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

I appreciated the info all.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    Browsing the selection of actions on NSS and JA, I found this to be indeed true.

Why are action assemblies (with triggers, bottom metals, etc.) going for more expensive than complete Savage rifles on bass pro and other websites?

Thanks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by subzerocg View Post
    Browsing the selection of actions on NSS and JA, I found this to be indeed true.

Why are action assemblies (with triggers, bottom metals, etc.) going for more expensive than complete Savage rifles on bass pro and other websites?

Thanks.
    Have also wondered the same. I know Bass pro , cabelas and Academy etc do there own special runs. Guessing that has something to do with it. I get mine off the used rack at gun shops and pawn shops if they aren't too crazy. Them pawn shops get nutty sometimes. Have bought several long actions for $175.00 to $200.00 from gun shop.
    Last one was a 110 or 111 in 30-06 detachable mag, bluing was real nice and trigger is sweet and smooth. Cheap plastic stock but had a nice sling and Vortex scope $225.00. Sometimes you get lucky, but don't seem to find many short actions. The few I have bought were from here or Accurate shooter forum.

Bought 1 new short action and it was from the original Jim at northland shooter's way back 2008 think it cost me $275.00. He gave me a deal on it and a barrel and something else. Just don't see any deals on new actions, I want another target action but just don't want to pay the asking price some are selling for. Better off buying a complete rifle and tearing it apart.
    savge 10 fp shooter

Banned
    I agree. Up until 2021, used rifles were a very inexpensive source of very good, and quite a few “low round count” Actions. It’s still a good means; however, prices are no longer the treasure trove they were. Several years ago any number of rifles could be found for under $300. My last Model 10 was $270. And let’s not forget what was likely the greatest deal going for a time… the 12FV sold exclusively from Cabela’s for $399 I believe it was. Those days are unfortunately now a memory. Amazing it was only a few years ago. “sigh”