Thread: Suppressed Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User serviceable cans were a must have for me, especially the rimfire one. I also like the weight savings of the 100% Titanium cans. I went with the Banish 30 and Banish 22 from Silencer Central and am well pleased with my choice. I would like to have a big bore can for the bigger bores though.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

I also went the banish 30 & 22 route thru silencer central. Still waiting on the government to do their part. Silencer Central made it very easy. Meanwhile I had most of my barrels threaded by a great gunsmith on GBO. Threaded all 3 of my 17hmr's, 22 hornet, both 223 and 22-250. Jumping into the silencer world with both feet. I too just got forced retirement due to disability. So now I'm recently learning how to reload also.
    If your looking to get your barrels threaded, look up CrashDoyle on GBO.

Basic Member
    https://www.griffinarmament.com/bush...rsal-silencer/

Here is another one to consider, they also have it in 45 cal if you ever want to get a larger bore. It will handle everhthing you have. I have a Liberty Mystic-x and am happy with it, but I am restricted on barrel length for some cartridges. It is not the absolute quietest, but it meets my needs just fine.

Subsonics can be "giggle" quiet, supersonic rounds will sound anywhere from an unsuppressed 22LR high velocity to barely louder due to the sonic crack. You will be good with anything you chooses as long as it is rated for your cartridges.
    Right is not always easy, but still right.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the replies. This is the kind of information I need to help me make a decision. Now I just need to jump in and get started with a suppressor. Made it to the range yesterday with a few loaded rounds. Haven't purchased any factory ammo yet. Started with Starline brass, Winchester primers and some 208 grain Hornady blems from Midway for the subsonics using W296 and published loads from Sierra. Everything chronographed fairly consistent around 975 for the starters and 1070 for loads closer to the higher end while remaining below supersonic. Happy with those results, but the accuracy is not quite there yet. About 1.25 inches at 50 yards. Not to my liking. More work needed. Maybe try some other bullets and weights. On the supersonics though, I am well pleased. First try with starting load of W296 and Speer 130 grain hollow points right around 2,025 fps and 10 shots through one ragged hole at 50 yards. That's more like it. Everything is low recoiling and the subs are like shooting my 10-22 (maybe a slight exaggeration, but not much). I'm sure things are going to come together and it's going to be a lot of fun. Had a good day letting a few rounds fly. Thanks again for all the advice!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Normrep55 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. This is the kind of information I need to help me make a decision. Now I just need to jump in and get started with a suppressor. Made it to the range yesterday with a few loaded rounds. Haven't purchased any factory ammo yet. Started with Starline brass, Winchester primers and some 208 grain Hornady blems from Midway for the subsonics using W296 and published loads from Sierra. Everything chronographed fairly consistent around 975 for the starters and 1070 for loads closer to the higher end while remaining below supersonic. Happy with those results, but the accuracy is not quite there yet. About 1.25 inches at 50 yards. Not to my liking. More work needed. Maybe try some other bullets and weights. On the supersonics though, I am well pleased. First try with starting load of W296 and Speer 130 grain hollow points right around 2,025 fps and 10 shots through one ragged hole at 50 yards. That's more like it. Everything is low recoiling and the subs are like shooting my 10-22 (maybe a slight exaggeration, but not much). I'm sure things are going to come together and it's going to be a lot of fun. Had a good day letting a few rounds fly. Thanks again for all the advice!
    Personally, I would save my components for accuracy testing until after I get a suppressor because all the barrel harmonics are gonna change when you screw a 6-16 oz. chunk of metal on the end. Some cans make accuracy worse and some make it better but if you work up your loads with the can attached you'll know that they're the best that they can be. One more thing about user serviceable cans is to use some kind of reference point such as the logo or serial number on the outside of the can to line up the baffles in the same position inside the outer tube every time. Doing this will minimize any shift in POI when you reattach the can.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Sanders View Post
    Personally, I would save my components for accuracy testing until after I get a suppressor because all the barrel harmonics are gonna change when you screw a 6-16 oz. chunk of metal on the end. Some cans make accuracy worse and some make it better but if you work up your loads with the can attached you'll know that they're the best that they can be. One more thing about user serviceable cans is to use some kind of reference point such as the logo or serial number on the outside of the can to line up the baffles in the same position inside the outer tube every time. Doing this will minimize any shift in POI when you reattach the can.
    Good thinking. All these replies are good. Your experiences will help me get it right the first time. When it takes $200.00 for the stamp and 9 months of waiting, plus the money for the can, there's no way to try them out and trade for another one if you're unhappy!

Basic Member
    FYI, JK-Armament has a deal going right now on their .30 cal. cans. Buy one and get a free .22 can. You'll still have to pay for the stamp but the can is free. The best deals/discounts on suppressors are usually on the days in and around black friday. I've seen some awesome deals during that time period but didn't have my $$$ right. I'll probably wait until then to buy my next one though.