Thread: Suppressed Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Interesting thread. I'm still shooting on my own range as I was 25 years ago. Before that going to ranges and not liking it was the incentive to buy the land in the first place so it is hard to think about giving it up. It is good to read such a thread however to become educated on the options.

Basic Member
    Ed I'm a member of two local ranges, one in WV and one in KY, the KY range has around 2000 acres under contract around their owned property, (former strip mine land), its now a game preserve and the KY DNR allows youth antlerless hunting on it about every 5 years, and the one in WV is 300 acres. about 30 years ago some property owners on the other side of one of the ridges where they were making a subdivision that tried to get it shut down, this property has been a gun range since the 1950's and we have a law here in WV that protects property from that type of action because it was there before, and everyone knew that.

Hi Norm, numero uno: educate yourself on suppressors, don't twist local gun shops unless they specialize in class 3 items, especially suppressors! I've read soooo many stories of a local shop talking someone into a can that does not, and cannot be changed, to accommodate their needs!

With the cartridges you're looking at, a Silencerco 36M (36caliber down to 22 caliber center fires) will work great. With experimentation, you can find a load thru a quality suppressor that the bullet impact at 25 yards makes more noise than the shot fired! That said, at 200 yards someone is still going to hear something, but it doesn't sound like a gun shot. Another suppressor that is extremely versatile is Silencerco 46M. It'll handle up to 45 caliber cartridges but can be run on 22 center fires. I have the older Hybrid46 and just today I was testing 8.6 Blackout (338 caliber) , with a 9mm front cap, and Makers 350's. It was so quiet that the bullet impact at 50 yards was louder than the shot!

As to cartridges, there's so much out there now that can be fun subsonic that is kind of hard to pick 1. The 300BLK is derivative an easy 1 to get started with due to enormous amount of data and 30 caliber bullets.

I believe that Winchester already offers a subsonic load for the 350 and you can work up loads for the max worth powders like trail boss that'll be extremely quiet.

I will warn, playing with suppressors can be very addictive! Also, if your taking the plunge and getting into this game, get a dedicated 22lr can, that'll also handle up to 5.7x28, like most of the Silencerco product, as they are a hoot, eccentric in 22 Hornet!

Basic Member
    Okay - I'm back. Thanks for all the input so far. And hello Mike. Good to see some of us guys from Specialty Pistols days are still around. Still more questions if anyone would care to reply to this already lengthy thread. So I got my 300 Blackout 16.25" threaded barrel from MGM. It is a thing of beauty. I'm putting together some loads to chronograph, but still up in the air with regard to which suppressor. My local dealer has a Silencer Shop kiosk. Everything is supposed to be easy. I was shown a Hyperion suppressor that was said to be "stupid" quiet. Their recommended can. Total titanium. $1000.00. Non user serviceable. Thus the questions. They say non user serviceable is not an issue. Doesn't have to be cleaned often. Other suppressors are part titanium. Part stainless steel. Less dollar cans have aluminum. My main interest is quiet as possible. Longevity. And is user serviceable a big issue. So many choices and hoping to make the right one from the start and not be disappointed down the road. The more I read the more it seems that powder choices also has something to do with the nature of sound suppression also. And does more $$ always equal better results. It sounds like some of you are getting good results already and are happy with your choices. Glad for any further input you may have before taking the plunge.

Basic Member
    The only reason you would need the can to be serviceable would be if you plan on shooting lead bullets. Lead will eventually build up and a bullet will strike it causing it to yaw or tumble and damage the can. If all you're gonna shoot is jacketed bullets a sealed can will be fine. I like the option of being able to shoot lead/cast bullets.
    If you can get by with a sealed can, I suggest that you check out the YHM R9. Its listed at $420 and will handle anything from .223 up to 350 legend. If you decide that you need something serviceable I suggest the JK 155 VersaX 30 or JK 155 VersaX 9. Both of these list for $449. I would choose the VersaX 9 and buy an xtra 30 cal end cap. You might not even need the extra end cap though. I would try it with the 9mm end cap first. You can always buy the extra cap later.
    There are lots of YouTube videos on just about any can you might be interested in. Alabama Arsenal and NFA Review Channel make excellent videos and are very knowledgeable about suppressors.
    I'm sure there are other options but these are the ones I would consider with the parameters you defined. No, more $$$$ does not always mean better performance. A can made from Aluminum & SS may sound as good or better than one made with Ti but the Ti will always cost more. Most suppressor companies offer a lifetime warranty. I know JK Armament does. Yes, powder choice can make a big difference in the tone/sound. Powders with the lowest pressures will generally give the best tone for the same velocity. I hope you get something that makes you happy.

User serviceable cans were a must have for me, especially the rimfire one. I also like the weight savings of the 100% Titanium cans. I went with the Banish 30 and Banish 22 from Silencer Central and am well pleased with my choice. I would like to have a big bore can for the bigger bores though.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

I also went the banish 30 & 22 route thru silencer central. Still waiting on the government to do their part. Silencer Central made it very easy. Meanwhile I had most of my barrels threaded by a great gunsmith on GBO. Threaded all 3 of my 17hmr's, 22 hornet, both 223 and 22-250. Jumping into the silencer world with both feet. I too just got forced retirement due to disability. So now I'm recently learning how to reload also.
    If your looking to get your barrels threaded, look up CrashDoyle on GBO.