Thread: Blind mag to detachable mag??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    To do what you want to do, you would need the following:

1. Boyds or other L/A stock setup for detachable box magazine and top bolt release
    2. OEM Savage L/A detachable box magazine bottom metal (or hinged floorplate - both use same inlet)
    3. Matching trigger guard for bottom metal.
    4. May need to do some minor file/dremel work to the feed port of the action for clearance.

Simple conversion, but not the cheapest as the OEM bottom metal will probably set you back $150-200, plus you'll need to pickup a new magazine which will set you back close to $50 for an OEM 3-rd mag. Now add in a couple hundred for the stock and you're looking at an absolute minimum of $450 - more likely $550+ when all is said and done.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    I'm very sorry it's taken me so long to respond to all the great information provided. I've been really struggling with the site, accessing this thread and, what the HECK is "tapatalk"??
    Anyway, maybe this time my comment will be posted and not lost in cyberspace.
    After reviewing your comments, I've decided it would be best to just order a Boyd's laminate with upgraded pad, try my hand at glass bedding the action and save the headache of any conversion. I'll just convince myself that it's a weight saving measure for a backcountry rifle. That's how I remember the manufacturers promoting the cheapo blind mag models.
    Thanx for the info folks!

Basic Member
    Tapatalk is just an app for your phone or tablet that is designed for maneuvering through forums. It can be convenient, but, it has a lot of advertising in it that makes it a bit irritating at times. I use it with my phone, but, on the tablet I just use the browser like I do on the PC.

Your choice is probably one of the least expensive ways to go, unless you just use the stock on the gun now.

Team Savage
    The factory stock is incredibly flimsy and the hard rubber buttpad makes recoil from the 7 mag quite unpleasant. It appears factory Savage stocks have improved quite a bit in the last 30 years, and my shoulder has aged alot in the same time frame. To replace the factory recoil pad would help with the punishment, but the stock would still be a cheap piece o' crap. I've always believed an improved handle would make a difference in the rifle's mediocre, but acceptable accuracy.
    Thanx again for all the great input.