Thread: Cast bullets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Thanks. One of the reasons I chose the .308 when I bought my BVSS was eventually shooting cast in it. I've cast bullets for about 40 years now. Mostly pistol and muzzleloader, but only some rifle, until the last few years. Then I decided to see what I could do with the .308 if I really devoted some effort to it.

I started out with a Lee 180gn mold for the .308 to start experimenting. Early results were surprising to me so I continued. That led me to powder coating bullets. For those who don't know it is a great alternative to the 'normal' lubes. Then I got some more 'serious' molds. I also have a few bullets that I prepare with a lubesizer (RCBS).

After that I went down the cast bullet 'rabbit hole' looking for more accuracy, attempting to get consistent sub-MOA groups. :) In a bit I'll post up some pics as soon as I can find and upload them. Basically I have three velocity ranges I shoot at. Subsonic for fun plinking. Med velocity (~1800fps) for most work out to about 300yd, and high vel (2000fps or a bit more) for 500yd. That's about my limit simply due to the fast twist of the .308 (1-10). A slower twist lets you go to a higher velocity, which would get more range. Another velocity limit is reached somewhere in the 2600-2800fps where some strange things can happen. These are for .30cal bullets. Other dia and twist rates will give different limits.

FWIW, I also worked up some loads for my M1 Garand. I don't shoot it as much but I know I can be relatively accurate with it.

For those who don't know there is also a Cast Bullet Association who run matches across the country. Mostly benchrest with different classes of rifle and pistol.

Basic Member
    Some interesting photos.

One from my last shooting session. Not 'normal' but typical of my better groups.

What a light blue powder coated bullet looks like after going into a sand berm at 200yd. Yes, the powder coat is tough as nails. One of the tests of a PC is to hammer the bullet flat. If the coating comes off or flakes it was a bad batch.

Currently my favorite bullet. Accurate Mold 31-210E. All are powder coated, the clear seems to do better for me. These are 'bore riders' the front section being an interference fit in the bore of the rifle and the first drive band seated into the lands.

Again, one of my last shooting sessions. This is kinda mixed since it is with different scope settings and was a test of different seat depths. The bullet is different, the NOE 310-165 XCB. It is not a bore riding bullet. After the 2R ogive it is tapered from bore to throat dia. It is best when seated into the lands.

Just a sample of a ladder done when I first got the 210gn mold. Yes, I started out trying Varget. Despite being the 'wrong' powder it did pretty good.

Just a sample of what weight sorting does for you. The lighter the bullet the more internal voids it could have. Yes, I toss a lot of bullets back in the pot. :)

Basic Member

Loading & Shooting Home cast bullets. Photos

Casting for about 60 years. Pistol mostly. Newest 9mm Luger. Rifles in Win 94 30-30 & 30-06 , 1903 Springfield. Photos- https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...b.11944/albums

Been doing as pure lead as I can find round balls for muzzleloaders for decades, a brief and disappointing try at Lee R.E.A.L. conicals for a .50 cal. . . . but never ventured into centerfire cast bullets.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I shoot a lot of them (gas checked) in my Bolt action 450 Bushmaster, various handguns and a 308 bolt rifle.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67