Thread: Precision Elite 308

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Glad it is shooting OK. Like CFJ said, I'd probably try one of the match loads with 168 or 155gn bullets as well just to see if your rifle prefers them. While mine likes 175SMK's the recoil wears on me, so I usually load 155's if I am going to shoot jacketed in it. With the 26in barrel I can still hit at 1000yd. For some reason my barrel does not like the 168's as much.

That's if you can find some other match loads.

Please don't take this the wrong way. When I finally started shooting for small targets I was surprised that I was not up to the challenge. I easily shot expert when in the military so never really thought about it much. I found I could shoot 1" groups but not any better. I thought it was the rifle at first. Then I discovered that it was really me. Took a little bit but I fixed my shooting skills so I could shoot smaller groups. Then I hit a 'limit' at 1/2MOA. Just could not get any lower. This time it took several thousand rounds before I finally got myself 'settled'. I am still not there yet. I still slip up on something small and open up a group. Cheek weld not right, to tight a grip, etc, etc. It becomes a mental game at that level as well. I remember one national champion saying that he practices dry firing in a dark room. Night before a match he sets up and practices pulling the trigger for an hour or so.

Since you are shooting in a club I'd discreetly look around and see if one of the better folks can offer some advice. Probably will be an old 'geezer' :) If you get lucky they'll be willing to share some tips to someone willing to learn.

I'm one of the old geezer's that needs to learn stuff. I'll try a few boxes of different weight bullets with my next pension check and see how they work out. I do get a lot of help from my buddy geezer's just thought I'd see what the Savage community had to say in particular to my rifle. Thanks boy's.

Banned
    Well… you could try the opposite.. Learn a thing or two from those of us who are just middle age youngsters. I’m 45 & have a 23yo so, so even guys 30 or or below are “kids” to me.

Oh yeah… and I actually happen to know more than the average bear, lol! Seriously, you read & ask questions here & you’ll learn all you need to know.

Your absolutely right and Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post

Oh yeah… and I actually happen to know more than the average bear, lol! Seriously, you read & ask questions here & you’ll learn all you need to know.

Is that a Pennsylvania bear, a honey bear or an idaho bear?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Is that a Pennsylvania bear, a honey bear or an idaho bear?
    Koala bear

Basic Member
    Yogi bear