Thread: Anyone Currently Shooting a Savage Model 12 LRPV ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have one in .223 with 1/9" twist. Shoots 69 and 77 grain sierra mk bullets very well. Also likes the hornady 73 gr ELD-M. The rifle is certainly capable of sub half moa groups at 100 and 200 yards.
    GOA

Not within your parameters, however a 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor will blow your mind at those ranges as far as accuracy goes. Lots of cartridges will for a re loader, but off the shelf ammo works well in those two, and it is available.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Dave, or anybody else, can you briefly compare the LRPV with the F/TR, both in .223? Range shooting out to 500 yards from bench, bags fore and aft. Not sure about a scope yet. If you were buying one of the two? Thanks in advance. I respect the experience and knowledge of Savage rifles that you guys have here!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    Dave, or anybody else, can you briefly compare the LRPV with the F/TR, both in .223? Range shooting out to 500 yards from bench, bags fore and aft. Not sure about a scope yet. If you were buying one of the two? Thanks in advance. I respect the experience and knowledge of Savage rifles that you guys have here!
    They are both Target, Single Shot Actions with Bull 1:7 Twist Barrels, so they will perform very close. Even price is pretty close. Can’t point to one being “better” than the other. The results will ultimately rest on the loads & shooter. I’d say go with which you like more. Do you want the Left or Right side ejection port? Would you prefer a 26” or 30” barrel? And do you like the Black Synthetic or or Grey Laminate stock more? Your choice will be the Right one!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    They are both Target, Single Shot Actions with Bull 1:7 Twist Barrels, so they will perform very close. Even price is pretty close. Can’t point to one being “better” than the other. The results will ultimately rest on the loads & shooter. I’d say go with which you like more. Do you want the Left or Right side ejection port? Would you prefer a 26” or 30” barrel? And do you like the Black Synthetic or or Grey Laminate stock more? Your choice will be the Right one!
    Thank you sir.

Comfort and stability is big when doing that type of shooting. I really like the ergo of the LRPV with its left eject but compared to the F/TR I think it looses something. I have put adjustable cheek pieces on both. I think the LRPV is not as well balanced either. That is a subjective thing however.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Well, went ahead and got the LRPV. I`m here to tell you this thing is a beast! Heaviest 11 or so pounds I`ve experienced, but then everything seems heavier at 75! The stainless barrel is obviously where most of the weight is, making it barrel heavy, of course. The HS Precision stock is very nice. Looking forward to getting it to the range. I don`t expect it to move much at all once it`s on the bags!