Thread: New Gun Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Quite honestly, it’s superstition. I don’t mean that in a bad way mind you. Just, there is no empirical evidence on this; only anecdotal. And with my knowledge of metallurgy & alloys behavior, I am positive that no “system” of shoot once, clean, shoot once clean, shoot five times clean X 2, etc., etc.. or any other recipe passed down from father to child, or “Because that’s what my ‘Smiff told me to do!”, is going to magically make my barrel shoot better. Now, I said it’s not a bad thing, because all those things can be very much a part of the hobby for many people. And I AM a firm believer in placebos. My accident & subsequent nerve pain has taught me so much of how intricately the human brain works. Just hii I a absolutely amazing God created us. So, if some break in procedure floats your boat, and serves only as placebo, then it could be beneficial for that person.

As for me, my break in consists of going shooting, come hone and clean. Go shooting again, cone home & clean. I do not clean at the range, in between shots. And I follow no set guideline.
    FWIW, I did exactly the same thing Dave does when my 110 in .223 was brand new. I don`t think I went through 50 rounds before it was shooting sub-MOA groups with loads that it likes. ​You`ll probably soon discover that your gun will have loads it prefers as well.

Basic Member
    Always clean a new gun not matter what it is. As far as breaking in the barrel. For a factory barrel I wouldn't think it's a bad idea since they are not usually the best machined. But my custom bolt guns I clean them. Then shoot a few shots and clean them again then go to my usual cleaning after every range trip. U just have to try stuff and see what works the best for u.

wbm Thank you for your support.

Thank all of you for your replies, I do appreciate it.