Thread: HOWA build

Basic Member

HOWA build

This may take a while....or not :) The original goal was to build a long range cast bullet gun, either .30-06 or .308 with a slower twist (1-13 or 1-14). So I started looking.

Initially I wanted to buy an old Mauser action, refinish/rebuild, stock, rebarrel, etc. But, they are not that common anymore and most look like they have spent a century in a flooded basement. If I had my old machine shop I'd have gone that route anyway, but, not now. Then I started looking for other actions. Rem 700's and std Savage actions were close to or over $500. I was leaning toward one of the Rem 700's from PTG. A Shilen barrel would be added.

Then I stumbled on the Brownell's website and saw their Howa barreled actions. They had some on sale a while back for just under $400. So, I kinda waffled. They had a heavy barrel in 6.5CM (24"). Changed plan. I'd go ahead and build it as a 6.5 and when I shoot it out, then get the cast barrel. Was also curious about the 'hype' about Howa so figured I'd try this as is, stock trigger and all.

The stock I wanted to do the fine tuning on it and also wanted a walnut stock, not laminated. I will put in pillars and bed it. I chose the Richard's Microfit Benchmark. Also paid a bit more for better figured wood.

While I was waiting on the stock I was looking for a scope. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on one (like a NightForce). One day I spotted a Burris XTR FClass scope on optics planet on clearance. I snagged it up. It is now on my 6BR and the Vortex PST (5-25x50) will go on this build.

So that's the story. Will post pics as I go. Most of this will simply be a stock finish thread since the barreled action really doesn't need much of anything.

Basic Member
    Pictures.

Basic Member
    I was pleased with the fit and finish of the stock. If someone did not want to do a bedding job, all it needs is a little cleaning up. I spent about 30min with some sandpaper and it was fitted. The last pic you can see how well it is in there.

The good thing is there is quite a bit of 'beef' left on the stock so the user can do whatever final shaping they want. A good swell to the grip area.

I'll be opening up the barrel channel quite a bit so the barrel has plenty of gap. Then will do the pillars and bedding, shaping and final sanding. Finish will be a rubbed oil.

So far I am pleased with the action. Not a glass smooth but seems to cycle well. The trigger is interesting. If I pull in the middle of it, it is a bit on the heavy side but has almost no creep. But, if I pull on the bottom of the trigger is just seems better and much lighter. Yes, I know leverage is part of that but I've not seen that much difference in a trigger before. Will measure it and see what's going on.

Charlie b, thanks for sharing. A lot of folks buy a Vanguard or Howa and want to make some improvements. i am sure there will be guys benefiting from your post!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    First step is to inlet everything the way I want it. Barrel channel and mag well recess needed some extra work. The barrel was free floated with about 1/16"-1/8" clearance all around. Also the vented area was opened up a bit more. The mag well recess was easier as the CNC cut was just incomplete. A little work with a flat chisel and sanding sticks fixed it.

Here are my barrel channel tools :)

Results

Team Savage

Good friend of mine is doing the same thing, think his is 308. Look forward to more build pics!

Basic Member
    I probably should have gotten the .308 since I already load for it. I just didn't want another 1-10 twist barrel. So, I figured I'd try the CM.