My brother has a Savage 112 BVSS in .223 that he leaves with me. Over the winter I ordered a SSS single shot follower because he only shoots paper and the internal magazine was inconvenient. Installation seemed easy enough. I removed the internal magazine and placed the single shot follower in the receiver in the opening. It fit perfectly and I put the barreled action back into the stock and torqued up the bolts. Everything looked fine.

Today we finally got to the club. The rifle displayed some issues. Closing the bolt OFTEN caused the firing pin to release and the Accutriger to be firm in its place. On the occasions when the firing pin stayed in place, the slightest touch of the trigger seemed to drop the firing pin (you could hear it) but the round would not fire. There was no indent in the primer. These two things happened repeatedly.

When I got home I pulled the barreled action out of the stock and everything looked fine. I tried to cycle the bolt and dry fire the gun but the same two things happened intermittently. It never functioned normally.

Anyone have any idea what went wrong and/or how to fix this?